Ladies Lounge This section is intended ONLY for use by our female members. Guys are NOT allowed to post in the Ladies Lounge. Only Female members and CBRForum staff are allowed to post in here.

New rider...boots???

Old 11-06-2007, 12:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New rider...boots???

Hi ladies! I'm new here and also a new rider. My husband just bought me a CB599 and I love it. I am still in the learning process and sometimes feel really stupid when I'm changing gears, but I'm gettin the hang of it. I had always been a passenger and now that I have my own I can't figure out what I was thinking before this... Just a question tho.....I do have a jacket/gloves, but am wondering about boots. I have been wearing my tennis shoes, which I know isn't the safest, but need some ideas of some good boots for beginners. I'm nervous about it because I'm still getting the "feel" for the shifter and want something that will allow me to feel for it. Until I ride more and get more experience I am wearing my tennis shoes tho.....Another thing....how many times am I going to kill it at a stop sign when there's someone behind me??? LOL!

Old 11-06-2007, 12:29 PM
Default RE: New rider...boots???

M, sounds like you're having a blast! About boots, I just broke my ankle, so I highly recommend good boots. I can't even imagine what my ankles would have looked like without my boots! Get good leather, over the ankle, and can't be pulled off. I've had no problem with feeling the gears through mine. I've had 2 pair of Double H brand, and they've been good, true to size, and reasonable price. My next pair will have extra ankle protection, however. It's difficult to know whether it would have mattered, but I'm a believer in protecting myself in every way possible.

I was always afraid of killing my bike on hills, so I found a hill, went with my husband, and practiced until I was nailing it every time. It will come quicker than you think. Then just don't let your ego get in the way. Everyone kills and drops their bike on occassion.

Have fun!

Old 11-06-2007, 08:28 PM

Thanks for the info on the boots Luna. I'm looking online right now...

I told my husband about finding a hill and practicing until I get it, he agrees totally. I need to feel comfortable on those hills before I go ride around town more....it's the honking behind me that frustrates me[&:]

Old 11-06-2007, 09:30 PM

Welcome to the wonderful world of riding! I've been doing it so long I can't remember a time when I wasn't riding something. A lifestyle it is.

For the boots check out Harley Davidson's FXRG series. They are pricy but good quality. Cool in summer, warm in cooler weather, cor-tex and leather. They are what I wear on the road. My track boots don't work well on the ST. Track boots are Alpine Stars SMXRs.

Old 11-10-2007, 02:39 PM

Check Doc Martens. I just bought some and they take some getting used to, but they are pretty darn comfy andgive me some height on the bike. Check local places, I paid $65 but a lot of places charge twice that, so be careful...http://www.drmartens.com/these are the ones I have. I needed something with some height though, if you do, I highly recommend these, if not try the IconSuper Duty boots they are nice, Frank Thomas maria boots are really comfy, I tried a pair of Joe Rocket Super street boots too and they were really nice.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:12 AM

Congrats on the new ride. I think that is a sexy bike.

While everything is a set of compromises, these are the best selling steet boots in all of our stores. They are available in womens sizing. Road Racing boots give the ultimate protection, but these are equivelant to SIDI SET-UPs in this respect and are easy to live in all day. We sell them for $99.00 to forum members. MSRP is $129.99

Solution WP Road BootTour Master has developed a Solution: The Solution Waterproof Road Boot sets a new standard for motorcycling footwear by offering unprecedented levels of quality, comfort and value.
• Constructed with durable 1.8mm to 2.0mm waterproof leather
• A King Tex® waterproof and breathable membrane combines with sealed seams and gusset to provide comfortable
waterproofing
• Oil-resistant, molded rubber cup sole
• #20 waterproof thread stitched throughout the boot provides further waterproofing
• 1.8mm-2.0mm waterproof leather toe guard protects the left boot from wear due to motorcycle shifter controls
• The boot collar is lined with Air Mesh material to increase airflow and comfort
• The boot interior is lined with a soft and comfortable K-315 material
• Circular molded ankle bone protector
• Easy entrance side opening with YKK zipper and full length hook and loop flap closures
• 3M™ Scotchlite® rear reflective oval increases nighttime visibility
• Articulated leather panels at the front and rear of boot increase flexibility and performance
• Available colors: Black
• Available Mens sizes: 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
• Available Ladies sizes: 7, 8, 9, 10 [/align]

Old 11-11-2007, 05:12 AM

Here is a great place to get up to speed on boots. The direct link is to my current track boot. You will find lots of links to their review of many others. http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...ts/gaerne-grs/

Old 11-11-2007, 08:04 PM

Thanks everyone for the info on the boots! I got the boots above. The local Honda shop had them in for $109 and in my size so I had to scoop them up. They are so comfy and perfect for me as a new rider. They look great to go in and have dinner and are great for this cooler weather, keeps my toes nice and warm. Bummed about this windy weather we are having in Oregon, freaks me out a bit...but, havin fun!