Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Looking for Boots

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 11:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for Boots

Hey all. On the 16th, I will get my income tax return and I want to put some of that to some new boots. I ride in some old school Alpinestar offroad boots. They offer plenty of protection on slab and on dirt, and I couldn't afford anything that approached their level of protection for a while. Here's a pic:

http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/z...l/CIMG0348.jpg

I often wear these guys all day in the city. While they're not uncomfortable, they're a little much, and the long toes drag in the twisties. I want something else that's highly protective, but less conspicuous and comfortable enough to wear all day.

I was looking at SIDI Vertigo's. Does anybody have these? How is the sizing? Thanks.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:56 AM

i wear icon field armor boots they go up just past the ankle. They are comfortable and
i paid only 120.00

Old 04-04-2010, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HydroPrelude85
i wear icon field armor boots they go up just past the ankle. They are comfortable and i paid only 120.00
i usually wear the icon super duty 3's to work. similar body, but less bulky and end up looking more like regular shoes. i like 'em; and the 3's come up higher on the ankle than the 2's did.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:40 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Although I wear Alpinestars touring boots for most in-town/commuting stuff. I also wear my Sidi Vertigos as well. They are very comfortable & very protective. Good for street & track. Jeans go over them easily. You can adjust the tightness on the back of the boot as well.

They're not completely inconspicuous visually but moreso than you'd think. For some reason, Sidi Vertigos tend to "squeak" a little when you walk in them...just the nature of the boot design, but its not bad.

IMO, I'd say sizing is accurate.

Sidi's can also be resoled.

Happy shopping.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:51 PM

I ended up getting some Alpinestar S-MX Plus Racing boots. Those things are sick. I kind of wished they had the replaceable soles like the Sidi's, but the shop I went to didn't have the Sidi's in my size, and I didn't want to buy them sight unseen. The squeak like hell, but a little graphite in a couple places keeps the noise away. It's amazing how much easier it is to ride a sport bike with sport bike boots and not high points. I'm still getting used to up shifting without that giant highpoint toe, the 1st to 2nd shift on my old clunky F2 gearbox gives me a little trouble from time to time.

Thanks for the suggestions all!

Old 04-23-2010, 12:51 PM

I Wear Icon Field Armor (full version) for 90% of my riding. They are uncomfortable to walk in a first (like a ski boot) but do very well after they break in a little. Feel great on the bike from day one. Breath very well (vented) to keep feet cool in the hot weather and are VERY protective in case of a crash. No good in the rain (soak through quick but dry quick too)

Psy