The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Visor up or Visor down?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 01:56 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Down except when I get into towns where it is hot and I lift it. I ride with safety glasses under the shield and I still get some crap in my eyes. They are the only two eyes that I will have and I would like to keep them. I have taken a few small stones and a bird now and then and I would be hurting if not for the shield.

I have been stung many times by bees because of the lack of a shield. There is nothing like the dreaded sound of a bee buzzing between your helmet and eardrum, you are going to get it in just a matter of time.
I have a scar on one ear where a bumblebee got in and started chewing away. I tossed the bike in a field, through the helmet and started chasing it but it got away when it climbed to an altitude where I could not reach it. The guy in the car behind me stopped and watched me dump the bike, jump off and start running across the field jumping and swatting while yelling. He must have thought I was nuts.

I hit something one day at about 75 MPH. I have no idea what it was but it splattered my shield so bad that I had to pull over because I could not see through the goop. It was much bigger than a bug and smaller than a bird. It may have been a humming bird. What ever it was I turned it inside out.

Without a doubt, shield down for me.

Last edited by TimBucTwo; 08-25-2009 at 01:58 PM. Reason: I need help typing
Old 08-25-2009, 03:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My visor is down 100% of the time, and is always cracked open just barely, to get better fresh air circulation.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:00 PM

visor is down i use a thing called fogcity its a thin film on the inside of the visor it stops it from fogging up plus my lid has two vents you can open to get some air in

Old 08-25-2009, 05:03 PM

I tend to have mine up most of the time....I have a Caberg hemlet...so I have the visor up, but the sun visor down.
If I cant use the sun visor due to weather conditions...I have the visor down with just a few cm's for a bit of air. When I get to a certain speed...the visor automatically closes anyway lol

Old 08-25-2009, 09:55 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The guy in the car behind me stopped and watched me dump the bike, jump off and start running across the field jumping and swatting while yelling.
Ha ha... Now THAT would have made a great video...

I've been stung a few times by bees, but none in my helmet because....

My visor is down 100% of the time, and is always cracked open just barely, to get better fresh air circulation.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Down or open a crack on the highway or back roads. Only up if it's foggy.

A mate of mine once forget his was down and spat...**** it was funny

Old 08-26-2009, 12:14 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nutter
visor is down i use a thing called fogcity its a thin film on the inside of the visor it stops it from fogging up plus my lid has two vents you can open to get some air in
Best invention ever !
I have the photochromic one - goes light or dark depending on the light.

It's clear you guys don't ride in Africa - if you've never been hit by a "Christmas beetle" or a praying mantis or locust you MIGHT ride with your visor up - until you hit one. Then you'll have it down, rest assured.......

Old 08-26-2009, 12:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shadow, we get those big **** bugs here too. In spring I just avoid riding just before dusk. Some of them hit the visor so hard you think you've copped a stone. Some are so big you can see them coming and look down so they hit the top of your head.

What brand is that visor? I've never seen one (don't get out much ) and it sounds cool.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:56 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i use a thing called fogcity its a thin film on the inside of the visor
Check e-Bay or the FOGCITY website. Worth the money, no fogging, and day or night use, plus any inbetween. Changes colour VERY quickly.

I had a locust hit my visor, and it left gouges from the spikes on his back legs right over where my left eye would have been, if'n the visor had been up. Be sides, I can't see jack shyte at more than 40/50 MPH with my visor up - not worth the problems - I have good helmet venting......

Quick Reply: Visor up or Visor down?