The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Top Speed?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 10:01 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey, sorry guys for asking a curious question. I will be more careful on touchy subjects next time since you guys never speed (I'm an angel too).

Old 12-09-2009, 10:19 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 12-09-2009, 11:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Indiana Hurricane
http://www.gearingcommander.com/

Nobody has put this on this thread yet, so here it is. have fun Az1. Come on down and meet us at the GAP.
Wow, thanks for that. At least I hadn't seen it before.

I think I hit about (an indicated) 125 mph once (for a second), but I was so busy looking at the road (and trees) that I didn't try to photograph the speedo. I was topped out in 3rd.

However, when I did the calculator thing (after fixing the red line) I should have only been going about 108. So something is off. Gearing, speedo, or memory, and I really don't think it's the latter.

So on a similar note, where are you guys when you top out in 3rd? (and I know some of you have done THAT because it happens so darn QUICK)

P.S. when you change the red line from 9,500 to 10,550 in the calculator, the top speed moves from 153 to 170 (which we know it won't do because of wind resistance, horsepower, gearing, whatever).

Old 12-09-2009, 12:08 PM

just saw the thread or i would have answered sooner. my top speed in 3rd gear is about 100 to 110...not positive as i am usually just doing that to pass and i only see the speed as i'm decelerating. my top speed is around 145 to 150 mph i cant get more precise than that as the wind makes my head shake so its hard to read the speedo at anything above 125 mph.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:22 PM

I wonder if I was in 4th? Maybe I was counting shifts instead. Hmm.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:49 PM
RIP "The Baron of Bronson"

Originally Posted by Az1kF
Ok, so 136 mph. Is that the correct conversion for us non metric country?
I always love this topic... I RARELY run my gal hard, maybe not hard enough? Maybe from a dead stop for giggles from time to time. People often ask "is it hard to go fast?" Its TOO hard to go slow, I find me speeding all the time not by choice though lol. 3rd / 4th gear its hard to do the speed limit ugh.

- quoting myself from another thread -

"I've pushed mine to 150MPH and I was only pulling about 9k. She wanted more and I wussed out. I LOVE that roar on a quick throttle opening up to on her from a stop; a head turner for sure. Makes a sweet sound starting about 6k"

Az1Kf you can appreciate this, out by Tonopah and the EARLY days of Sun Valley Pkwy, USE to be a blast. Watch Buckeye & Surpirise PD and DPS now..... *sigh*

BTW.... Was that Senior Zappa Steve?

Last edited by CBRclassic; 12-09-2009 at 11:25 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:38 PM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

I don't know how the Magazines do the reviews nowadays. I haven't read many of them lately. But, back in the day the reviews use to show what the speedo read and what they were actually doing . The faster you went the more your speedo was off. My garmin has max speed set on it so you do not have to look at your speedo while doing the fastest you went. You can check it later when you slow down. The fastest I went was 65 cause I live in Indiana.

Old 12-10-2009, 05:40 AM
November 2009 ROTM

Todays top speed whatever it may be,will not be close to the brand new Donk top speed of your bike,unless of course you maintained every moving piece of that Donk,& got a dyno tune -Exhaust gasses check for Carb balance etc.
It would be nice to assume that today our Machines can reach speeds indicated via Speedo & Tacho.

Quick Reply: Top Speed?