The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

The New Girl

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 09:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
I'm looking at forward controls right now, actually. Want them bad, but pretty expensive. I can get the kit to use my own levers for like $200, but I'd like to get a nice set of pegs and levers, too. That about doubles the price. Seems steep just for pegs, levers, and a couple brackets.
Forward controls was next on our list if we had kept the recent yellow Magna, but the price always got in the way.

What we did was trim the seat foam. There is a ton of foam behind you that pushes you forward a lot. I removed the cover (it's just stapled) and used a serrated bread knife to carve the seat so that the seating position was moved back. I still left a couple of inches of foam seat back, but it really changed the riding position. On the picture above of the yellow Magna, I had already done that. The rider is 5'11" and it was a big improvement. Of course the seam on the back of the seat no longer lines up along the narrowed back bolster, but if you stretch it tight when you restaple it looks pretty good. If you want to go nuts, you could just use new vinyl.

Are we on or off topic?

Dylan, I was looking at your pictures more closely. Along with the after market grips, rack, backrest, bags and crash bars, it has those turn signal louvers, headlight visor, a horn cover, and a billet radiator cap. A chrome brake reservoir cover is common at that level too, but I can't tell from the pictures.

See those fins on the motor? They are ornamental of course, and just screw off (allen wrench). I chromed mine. That was cheap and really easy, and really cool as it made the motor seem more of a piece, as they say.

Last edited by JHouse; 07-23-2010 at 10:08 AM.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:23 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I still think I'm gonna pull the trigger on the forward controls. I may just do it in stages to make it seem like it's not $350. lol...
On the seat thing, it's funny you said that. I was just talking to the wife the other day about how the stock seat had too much padding in the back, and was a bit too soft.
What's cool is that the seller sent an extra stock seat with the bike that's in perfect shape (his bud bought a corbin, sold the bike, and forgot to send the stock seat with it). So I will likely hack it apart.
Very good thinking, Joe.

Also a good call on the chrome bits. It has the master cylinder cover, too.
I almost removed the "signal louver" things because I was worried about visibility, but the wifey assures me that they are quite visible. (although she may be trying to kill me....LOL). She absolutely hates flush mounts, btw.
See, Joe, we can go as off-topic as we want.

Dave, the forward controls take some getting used to. You should have seen me on the VRod muscle. I kept looking for pegs, dragging my feet, and cursing like a sailor....lol. Quite a spectacle for the onlookers, I'm sure.
It grows on you, though, and feels pretty cool once you're used to it. Like you're lounging.... all stretched out like a pimp.

... a VFR motor, with the V4 growl, ready for some VFR upgrades and with the entire HRC to back it up... Please have mercy and don't tempt me...
Oh yeah...... you've been tempted.

Old 07-24-2010, 01:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, if you are all about sport bikes, the sitting upright with your feet on an ottoman position is probably strange. And it makes a windshield almost mandatory past about 45 mph. Since you aren't leaning into the wind it puts some force on you and you have to hold yourself on the bike at high speed. That's why they call them "cruisers".