The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

The New Girl

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 09:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice cruiser Tim. I liked the shot with the clubs on. That thing would be a torque monster wouldn't it? I can never work out why the Harleys are just sooo dear. you've got to give them credit for building an image for the masses and taking their cash. Anything's worth what you can get for it I suppose.

Dylan. I hope your buddy showed his mates why the Star was better too after he told them! BTW, I ran the tassle stuff by my missus. Her first thought was that they belong on somebodies nipples too. Do your work mate a favour, just start to trim an inch off every week or so....it's for his own good!

Old 07-21-2010, 10:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice cruiser that Magna (any Magna actually). What size engine does it have?
I’ve never been too fond of this sort of bike, never ridden one, other than a tiny Yamaha XV250 Virago. Getting older however I am developing a taste for the sort of bikes that don’t need to go fast to have fun.
I’ve always like café racers
Being a typical boy-with-toy type of fella, I’ve always thought that a powerful Jap cruiser (VMax, Magna, F6C, Royal Star and the like) would make an excellent base for a café racer, with the guts to match the looks.
… in the end however I just ride my CB and forget all about it.

M.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:36 AM

It's a water-cooled 750 V-four. It's the VFR engine, with a tad more torque and slightly less peak. I remember when I was first looking at it in 93, it seemed Gigantic. Long and low, and not stubby like all the fake choppers of the day.

Old 07-21-2010, 01:02 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by davethepom
Do your work mate a favour, just start to trim an inch off every week or so....it's for his own good!
Now that's funny!
Originally Posted by Cuba Libre
I’ve never been too fond of this sort of bike, never ridden one, other than a tiny Yamaha XV250 Virago.
I met a young guy that bought a Virago and was really excited about getting it. He was all talk about putting it on the road. The next time I ran into him I asked how it was and he was very pissed off. It turns out that he looked up the definition of Virago and it means a mannish woman. He told me that it was sitting in the back of his garage were he was piling stuff on it so that he would not have to look at it. A co-worker of mine had a Virago so, I told him that Virago is a mannish woman. He looked at me and said, I 'm going out there right now and I am going to ride that bitch" .

Last edited by TimBucTwo; 07-21-2010 at 01:07 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:04 PM

Yup, that's what I'm talk'n about. Virago. Short in length, high and a GREAT BIG seat and a little teeny tank. 25 years after Easy Rider. For those a little slow on the uptake. They were probably just getting into bell bottoms in the 90's.

Old 07-21-2010, 02:33 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do your work mate a favour, just start to trim an inch off every week or so....it's for his own good!
That IS funny.

He looked at me and said, "I'm going out there right now and I am going to ride that bitch"
That's hilarious, too...

Cuba Libre, I'd say the Magna would be a great option. It's a good bit lighter than many "cruisers", looks pretty sharp, and the 750V4 is a great motor. Like house said, it's really just the VRF motor with different cams. Packs a little punch and easy on the wallet.

Old 07-21-2010, 02:55 PM

My only hit on the 94 -03 Magna is that it sits a little short for a cruiser. Mind you, I never noticed that during my initial ownership, though after a while I did put floor boards on it which lowered my feet a little and let me move them forward. I only really noticed it after I got my second one years later after riding my Road Star for years. The real reason I got rid of the first Magna (other than getting the new bike bug) was that with two up riding, it didn't have as much torque as I liked. But it handled like a dream, making it big fun. And like I say, it does not look insubstantial.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:05 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

after a while I did put floor boards on it which lowered my feet a little and let me move them forward.
I'm looking at forward controls right now, actually. Want them bad, but pretty expensive. I can get the kit to use my own levers for like $200, but I'd like to get a nice set of pegs and levers, too. That about doubles the price. Seems steep just for pegs, levers, and a couple brackets.

Last edited by kilgoretrout; 07-22-2010 at 11:08 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
Cuba Libre, I'd say the Magna would be a great option. It's a good bit lighter than many "cruisers", looks pretty sharp, and the 750V4 is a great motor. Like house said, it's really just the VRF motor with different cams. Packs a little punch and easy on the wallet.
... a VFR motor, with the V4 growl, ready for some VFR upgrades and with the entire HRC to back it up... Please have mercy and don't tempt me...

M.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
I'm looking at forward controls right now, actually. Want them bad, but pretty expensive. I can get the kit to use my own levers for like $200, but I'd like to get a nice set of pegs and levers, too. That about doubles the price. Seems steep just for pegs, levers, and a couple brackets.

I'm not sure about the 'forward controls' thing. The thought of riding feet first just seems weird to me...mind you, thats what I've come to expect around here.. WEIRD. Probably why still keep logging on?? Maybe I need to have a ride on a cruiser to understand but the riding position just looks wrong to me. Head and hands first for me

Dylan, have you smoked that Highly Dangerous yet or what?

Marco, why not get a complete cbrf not just the camshafts? You know you like it here

Quick Reply: The New Girl