The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

My thoughts after a glimpse of diesel fumes

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 03:18 AM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Before the hard core De-railers get in on the act , I'll say well done Woof. Finding a town suitable for happy habitation is very important. Even longer to find a house that will be your home.

Took me a while to find suitability when I returned to South Australia.

Please do post some pictures of the region/town when you are decided.

Cheers, SB

PS: Now I've had my moment of sanity I'll join in the thread spread when it occurs!

Old 05-25-2015, 06:32 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In a fit of totally uncharacteristic bout of magnanimity, I actually agree with Seb.

When Mrs TK and I first moved to Wanaka we rented for the first couple of years.

We hung on to our house in Dunedin and rented that out; knowing that if things didn't work out; we always had a fall back position.

It wasn't an easy decision to sell our beloved Dunedin villa and have to spend twice as much to own a home here.

But it's worked out OK, Wanaka is a lovely place, we both have reasonably well paid jobs (by NZ standards) and we can both walk to our separate jobs in about 3 minutes.

Hell it can't be all bad; our 25 year old daughter has given up a well paid job in Dunedin to come back home and live with us for a gap year.

We'll see how that works out.

Feel the fear Woof, I have always been of the opinion, that I don't really care where I live. As long as I enjoy where I live.

End of heartfelt, on topic post by KiwiTK, normal transmission will resume shortly.

Last edited by kiwi TK; 05-25-2015 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Both on topic, and reasonably lucid. I will get a caneing from the Mods for that.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:51 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's a short little promo video by the Anacortes Chamber of Commerce

So, I'm going to be awed by nature. Which will be a change because I'm already odd by nature

Last edited by wooferdog; 05-25-2015 at 11:32 AM.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:25 AM

Here's someone's you tube vid of the annual bike rally in Anacortes. Check the last minute or so.

This sells it

Old 05-25-2015, 11:46 AM

Here's a map link

Old 05-27-2015, 06:39 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wooferdog
So, I'm going to be awed by nature. Which will be a change because I'm already odd by nature
*spontaneous laughter*

That's actually what I heard that the guy said must admit I did wonder if I heard right. Seems like a very pretty place, much like here but instead of hills and lakes you got mountains and the sea. Everything's bigger in murica they say... I bet being so close to the Canadian border you got proper winter there as well?

As a continuum of all the things in this thread, being odd, derailing and PKN, please enjoy this little picture

Name:  95hRehX.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  191.0 KB

Last edited by Mattson; 05-27-2015 at 06:48 AM.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:19 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I like the Finland coat of arms

Continuing on the totally off topic stuff: I thought this was an interesting story in the local paper today.

Snowstorm huddle a fantail phenomenon | Otago Daily Times Online News : Otago, South Island, New Zealand & International News

The little fantails are a bird we only ever see in urban areas during the winter. They spend all summer in the bush, and then come into urban areas to get fed by old softies like me.

But what I found interesting was their average weight; 8 grams; think about that.

That is 1 & 1/2 teaspoons of water.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator
Received 313 Likes on 257 Posts

But are the fantails African or European and what would their airspeed velocity be if they were laden with a coconut?

Old 05-27-2015, 01:12 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by wooferdog
Here's someone's you tube vid of the annual bike rally in Anacortes.
Here's another video.

Last edited by TimBucTwo; 05-27-2015 at 01:15 PM. Reason: LOL
Old 05-27-2015, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by hamlin6
But are the fantails African or European and what would their airspeed velocity be if they were laden with a coconut?
Brilliant!

Cheers, SB

Quick Reply: My thoughts after a glimpse of diesel fumes