The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

My thoughts after a glimpse of diesel fumes

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 05:32 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default My thoughts after a glimpse of diesel fumes

Hiya Boys,

It's been a mild and quiet winter which has bloomed into a glorious spring up here in the PNW with many changes going on. First, Project Moby is coming along. The White Whale recieved a new motor, the performance improved version from a 2002 Mustang GT. I was lucky enough to score most of a stainless dual exhaust from a '96 Police Interceptor from a local wrecker for dirt cheap. I still need the aluminum driveshaft and Limited slip from that car. Building my war chest for a Mercury Marauder intake and MAF and with a flash tune, she'll be making close, if not over 300 bhp. Enough to move this 4000 lb behemoth along quite nicely. Scored the front bumper cover and a header panel from another junk yard and have been half-assed looking around for a painter so I can clean up the bodywork.

Needless to say I've become lazy having four wheels for the first time since we've met.

The bike has a coolant leak (see tech post) but overall she's still that swayback old mare that I love so dearly.

On the home front me and Mrs. Woof have patched things up. Our differences being the handling of the recalcitrant teen. She had Mommy snowed for so long and Mrs. Woof with her rose-colored glasses couldn't see she was being hoodwinked. Me on the other hand, in the past, having told every lie that the little girl was laying down never bought the bullsh!t. So mommy resented my brutal honesty and the little girl hated me for being able to call her out on her subterfuge. It's the mindset of an addict. Trust me, I know.

So, with the help and support of the girl's father, we ran her back into treatment and then sent her up to a 6 month recovery house in Mount Vernon, WA. Well, long story short, during the weekly weekend drives up north to visit said teen, Me and Mrs. Woof started to fall in love with the area. Small population. It's due east of Victoria, B.C. with easy ferry access. Hour or so from Vancouver, depending on the line at the crossing. Access to Whidbey and the San Juan Islands.

And a river runs through it.

The Skagit to be exact. One of the best salmon rivers around here. BONUS!

Double Bonus. It's at the western foot of the North Cascades Highway. The premier bike highway in the state.

The area offers so much that me and Mrs. Woof started talking about pulling up stakes and moving north. We'd do it cold and find whatever work is up there and settle in for the long term.

Here's where it gets interesting.

In February I landed a little job at Tacoma Screw Products (get your minds out of the gutter boys), a regional fastener supplier. If you build decks or houses or trucks or ships or airplanes or failed large scale nuclear power projects, we are the go-to people in the PNW. It's a job in their distribution center here in Tacoma and I've managed to gain a foothold in the company. They have satelite branch stores from here to Twin Falls Idaho and a newly planned store up north in Burlington, WA opening this August.

What, do you ask, is so interesting about Burlington, WA?

It's right across the river from Mount Vernon.

I've put in for a Counter Sales position there.

If you pray to a diety or have a lamb to sacrifice (doesn't have to be a virgin) now's the time.

If Bella Fortuna still won't cast a smile my way, well so it goes, but this is not only an opportunity of a lifetime.

It's the opportunity...

... for the rest of my life

Cheers!

Last edited by wooferdog; 05-18-2015 at 05:42 PM. Reason: By now you should know
Old 05-19-2015, 12:43 AM
Welcome Crew
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good to hear all is going well, they say a change is as good as a holiday.

Old 05-19-2015, 01:57 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My philosophy in life has been more or less to rather plunge head first into new things and rub your forehead later thinking was it a good idea or not, than sit on your a$$ forever thinking what might have been... Really good to read things are going for the better with the wifey as well!

My only regret... well, I cannot call it that since me meeting up with the woman who I am now married to is what changed the course I was going... but sometimes I still wonder... what would it be like to live down under... and propably forever will...

Old 05-19-2015, 03:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Howdy neighbor!
I live in Tacoma, close to the mall.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator
Received 311 Likes on 255 Posts

Congrats on everything, especially the family situation. Being the "step" to an teenager can be less than fun. I have 19 and 17 year old step-sons. While I love them, they have caused us more marital issues than all other things combined. On many occasions the only that has kept the Mrs. and I together was grit and stubbornness. So I tip my hat to you for getting everything sorted out.

Old 05-20-2015, 03:42 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

Good to see you checking in Woof, your words of wisdom and experience are always welcome around here.

Mrs TK just read your post and related her own words of wisdom (she is both wise and a woman; I guess that's why they call her the Wise Woman at her work) "somehow life ends up taking you where you should be, there might be some speed bumps along the way, but you usually end up in the place that's right for you"

And while I'm here, a wee message for Matti.

Big ups for PKN in the Eurovision. You must be so proud mate.

Old 05-20-2015, 03:49 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not a facepalm hard enough... although I've thought for quite some time that the whole contest is about who makes the most gay performance... I did watch it the one year when lard... sorry Lordi won but normally I try my best to neglect the whole event. My wife has all the albums... which is one of the main reasons why we don't spend much time at all in the same car...

I'm somewhat surprised that you know of the whole contest in the first place...

Old 05-20-2015, 03:57 AM

Just happened to see an item on the news tonight in the special needs (sorry that should say interest) category.

Of course I immediately thought of you, with your well known interest in rock on the somewhat edgy side.

Old 05-20-2015, 04:25 AM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Great to hear things are turning a corner for you Woof. The only regret you may have in the future....................is if you don't take the risk of the move.

Do it! What is the worst thing that can happen??

Cheers, SB

PS Good to hear the swayback mare is in good(ish) fettle too

Old 05-20-2015, 04:35 AM

You're off searching PKN now aren't you Seb? I think you and I might qualify to join that band (after a few Amarulas')

Last edited by kiwi TK; 05-20-2015 at 04:48 AM. Reason: You're right, I didn't need to ask

Quick Reply: My thoughts after a glimpse of diesel fumes