The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Kids..They can scare the sh!t out of you!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 06:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Kids..They can scare the **** out of you!

Hey guys. My son's ok now but scared the crap out of us!!!

Well, Kath and I lost a few years of our lives for sure on Saturday. The young bloke played rugby league on the weekend, got a dirty shoulder charge stuck under his chin and hit the deck. He's a tough little sod so when he didn't get right up I knew he'd been hurt. They helped him off the field and I went to see him. He said he was ok but we got called over almost immediately because he "wasn't too good". Poor guy had lost his memory and was starting to panic big time. He knew who we were and recognised his mates but didn't know where he was playing couldn't remember school or anything much else. I tried to make jokes like "it wasn't that great a week anyway" but inside Kath and I were sh!tting bricks!

Called the ambos and they said take him to hospital to get checked out since his pulse and blood pressure were too high. Luckily, in an hour or so, he remembered everything and is fine. No sport or exams for a couple of weeks while the concussion heals then he'll be good as new. We're keeping him home for a couple of days so he can't go dicking around with his mates...

Little bugger near scared us to death!!!

Old 06-20-2010, 07:58 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thrilled to hear he's okay Dave.... sure sounded like a huge & major worry as it happened. Relieved to hear it's all looking good. He's sounds like a tough feller.

Know that feeling , my missus had big fall on ice 4 years ago ..... and nearly did not make it back, almost lost her, a feeling like nothing you could imagine .....total helplessness when all you can do is observe..... life indeed seems to hang by a hair sometimes.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:46 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, Dave. Scary for sure.
Glad he's doing much better now, just keep an eye on him. Probably good he's taking a few days to rest.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Concussions are fun! Yeah, my mom figured out how large a mistake she made when she let me play soccer. First good hit and she never came to another game again. Coming home on crutches, arm in a sling or having been rung up as the emergency contact didn't help much.

But thankfully as a kid, I was part rubber. Bounced back, more worried about when I could get on the field. At least he remembers everything. Still don't remember the final few seconds leading up to my last concussion (got mugged).

Old 06-21-2010, 12:02 AM

Thanks guys. I'm pretty sure he's ok because he's giving me ****. He's been stirring me then saying "what're you going to do..hit me?" with a big grin on his face. I just smile and add another to the list for when he's better...up to five now (as if). He's not even allowed to play his drum kit so he's well p!ssed off. We've told him that he must take it seriously since a bruise on your brain isn't something to f*ck about with. I had a good concussion in a karate tournament when I was about 19. Couldn't see right, busted nose, black eyes started vomiting a few hours later. Took me weeks to fully recover.

Knock off at last. If the missus has got our wireless broadband on the new home 'puter working, I'll try and see who's around later.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:54 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

He'll be fine, Dave - I played a fair bit of footie as a kid as a goalkeeper, and took a few similar knocks. Headache, sometimes some upchuck, and temp memory loss is all part of it.
It's a scary moment for parents, though.

Maybe that's why I'm such a grumpy old **** hehe

Old 06-21-2010, 11:09 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........

Glad to hear he's OK Dave.

Just remember it's only his head you can't hit.

A good sharp blow to one of his toes with a hammer will get his attention or put your helmet on him and you can pound away!!!

Old 06-21-2010, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by hawkwind
Glad to hear he's OK Dave.

Just remember it's only his head you can't hit.

A good sharp blow to one of his toes with a hammer will get his attention or put your helmet on him and you can pound away!!!
Thanks again guys..I'm sure all's fine. Keeping him home today, back to school tomorrow with strict instructions!

Yeah Hawk, I'm hearing you. He gave me just too much cheek yesterday [whilst standing right next to Kath] so I gave him a mild dead leg and raised one eyebrow just to let him know...didn't seem to hurt his head at all