The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Hey Hamlin

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 02:01 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I was on the road listening to 'Hawk's pre-game when they announced it

Opinions ranged from . "He never looked like he was enjoying the game". "Post game press conferences, his eyes would dart around like he was looking for s way to escape the room." "He grew the beard for something to hide behind." "Last season would be the best he would have going forward"

The talent was there. I saw him at Stanford. He was legit.

To his defense. He replaced a legend in Indy. Manning's a tough act to follow. Look at all the QB's to follow Elway. None measured up until Manning himself arrived on the scene. He also didn't enjoy much protection in his early years either and paid for it with his body

Does it surprise me.? No, not on a Barry Sanders type scale

Old 08-25-2019, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 313 Likes on 257 Posts

I agree he was a great player in college. But he never could get consistently good as a pro.

The Colts have never been known for their offensive line. But Matt Hassleback did ok behind it as is Jacoby Brissett.

I wasn't bitter to see Peyton go. If it's time, it's time. But I did hate that he went to the Broncos. I really dislike the Broncos, and Elway.

I do think that Luck should have announced it much sooner than right before the season starts. But who knows, Irsay is one tricky dude. Maybe he has something up his sleeve.

I do wish Andrew well and that his body gets healed up.
He's only 29. He has a lot of life ahead of him.

Old 08-25-2019, 09:56 PM

Hasselbeck was a veteran with Super Bowl experience. He played behind a monster O-line in Seattle. I think in Tennessee he learned how and when to take a sack behind a crap line that prematurely ended Jake Locker's career.

Two side notes here:
Jake Locker from the UW is currently the QB coach at his old high school about 10 miles from here.
UW has a thing for QB's named Jake

I don't know. Was that Luck's problem? Did he try too hard to extend plays instead of going to the turf and living to fight another day?

Old 08-26-2019, 05:47 AM
Super Moderator

That's exactly it. That has been my frustration with him the whole time. He seemed to always want to either always go for the big play or force a play that wasn't there.

It's a game of inches and we would often try to thread the needle with a 25 yard spiral and get picked off. Or he would sit in the pocket too long then try to scramble to get out of the mess. It very rarely worked and his body paid the price.

Old 08-31-2019, 08:11 PM

Streaming radio right now .Nix's youth is evident but he's showing flashes

What's the history of War Eagle?

Old 08-31-2019, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator

He is in a pretty big stage right now. They said he is the 1st true freshman to start the season for AU since back in the 40's. He needs to shake the nerves and get a TD on the boards.

Honestly, nobody really knows sure how the War Eagle thing started but it's believed to go back to 1890 when AU played Georgia for the 1st time and a civil war vet brought a pet eagle he nursed back to health and it started flying around the field.

There are other versions that make as much sense.

It is very cool to be at a home game and watch the eagle soaring around the stadium then land mid-field.

Old 08-31-2019, 09:31 PM

Nix's first TD. Sounds like he needs to trust his protection

Old 08-31-2019, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

He does indeed. I think he has a lot of potential. The Ducks are a serious team from which to get your ncaa initiation.
Their D is worn out right now. That can only help us.

Old 08-31-2019, 10:17 PM

Sorry. Steeped away because Mrs. Woof made spaghetti sauce. Whoa, Nellie! Got back just when they stretched the chains

Old 08-31-2019, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator

1st down!

Quick Reply: Hey Hamlin