The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Carb Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 05:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb Questions

Ok so I recently moved and was boring a family members truck for about a week and the time came to move the bike. I refuse to trailor the bike so I went to hop on her and ride her on over but after a couple of seconds of running the note changes and I can smell gas... I look under the bike and theres a pool of gas. Its coming from the left side (look from the rear) overflow tube... I have no idea what couldve caused they as the bike only sat for a week... prior to that she was my everyday vehicle. This weekend I finally get the chance to pull the carbs... that was a feat, didnt realize how tight those boots can be. lol

I get them off and take off the float bowls cause my first idea was its a stuck float... well all seem to be in working order... and clean.. I decided Ill take 'em apart and clean them good but I havent started yet. I noticed the butterflies on all the carbs are 100% closed. I dont know a whole lot about carbs but id have to think there would be a tiny gap for idle right? could it be one of my siblings was playing with my idle screw and closed them off and thats why the overflows were flooding or do I need to dig more and clean everything?

Old 06-27-2010, 08:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure about the butterflies but I've got some faint memory from last time mine were off (4 years ago) that there's a small rectangular cut out in each one...I could be dreaming as i've drank a whole lot of beer in that 4 years. If it stopped leaking after you shut the motor off then at least the petcock is working ok. It must have been a bit of crud settled in one of the float valve seats or a sticking float as otherwise there's no way fuel can come out. Sometimes you'll never even find the dirt. Just make sure it's actually coming out of the overflow, not running down the outside somehow from a fuel leak higher up. If you've cleaned it all out and still have trouble, run some fuel into the carbs with the bowls off one at a time. That way you can isolate which one it is and get a better look at what's going on by pushing up the floats etc.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:55 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Give each of the float bowls a light tap or two with a small hammer....
Sometimes that can save you a whole lot of stripping.......

Old 09-03-2010, 09:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got ahold of someone who actually used to be a member here. Had him clean/rebuild them for me. Turned out the rubber needle broke off & got stuck.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:18 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dang, I was ready to do a Voodoo dance (while holding my JD in one hand and a toilet plunger, in honor of Classic, in the other) hoping for intervention from some long gone bike spirit.
You still can!
And be sure to make a youtube video.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:52 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OMG - Nevada's back in full force..........................