The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

2015 Lake Gairdner Speed Week

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Default DLRA Speed Week 2015 Lake Gairdner, South Australia

So Kenny and I packed the Landcruiser on Tuesday night for the off early Wednesday morning. Unbeknownst to us there had been a high speed accident on the lake and a critically injured driver helicoptered to Port Augusta in the afternoon and the police were to send up an accident investigation team which closed the track all Wednesday.

After a slow drive – the Landcruiser plus off-road camper is not a light set-up and the power from the Toyota diesel engine is bereft of all……………..ummmmmmmmmm…………………power!

At Iron **** we turned onto the dirt for the 160km drive to the lake. You have to drop tyre pressures to about 26 psi. This gentleman with a converted road bike was doing likewise.

Then the signs tell you that you are on your way to certain death.

But with a little luck – and we did pass one rolled 4WD – you arrive at the entrance to Lake Gairdner.

We headed out to the lake for a quick viewing – this being about 3.30 in the afternoon – and the cars and bikes were starting to have a few runs again, so we headed bush to find a camping spot for the next few days.

Being a National Park/Aboriginal lands we had to take everything with us that we brought – and I mean everything so we set up the porta-potti alfresco

We settled in, had a couple of beers and cooked a fine dinner listening to the roar of engines in the distance on the salt. Thursday morning after hot cross buns for breakfast we were out on the track. We had to walk as the salt was a little soft and they were restricting vehicular access to competitors and tender vehicles. As usual there were an assortment of cars and bikes from 50cc superbly worked weapons to 8 litre monsters that made the salt vibrate when fired up. Here’s a sample of the racers……………….

This guy was the closest to a “Burt Munro” on the salt with his extremely modified Triumph

Have a look at the barrel of the bike – forward facing intakes – not how it was designed!

Nice…….

This Vincent was just beautifully constructed and sounded sublime

The fantastic thing about Speed Week is you can talk to anyone anywhere. Here’s the ‘Bear offering some last minute advice to a rider about to attack the course

Too true!

The world’s fastest Velocette – over 180 MPH!

A Harley thingy staging……..

And ready for the off

That is some ram tube

Mellow indeed

Here’s your tiddler Matti – the work put into that little machine was mind blowing

But that’s not all. How about a Postie bike complete with salad bowl fairing!

The weapon of choice for outright speed for dollars spent however, is the Suzuki Hayabusa. One similar to this with the same Airtech fairing did 232 MPH – naturally aspirated!!

Another beautifully prepared Vincent

Then there’s the cars………..I didn’t take a huge amount of photos of them, but the belly tanker was beautiful

A rat rod that was allowed on the lake as he had driven from Queensland

‘Still life with Salt, a Landcruiser and a ‘Bear

Here’s my good mate Kenny sitting with all his friends

And too soon all the competitors were packing up and heading off

We packed up after lunch on Friday and bumped back down the 160 odd km track to Iron ****. Managed to break the exhaust on the corrugations. Arrived home - after devouring a lovely hamburger in Mallala - at about 9pm that night.

A great few days away.

Cheers, SB

Last edited by Sebastionbear1; 03-28-2015 at 05:56 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:07 PM
Welcome Crew
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Might have to add to the bucket list, looked like a great couple of days

Old 03-29-2015, 06:04 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jarvid
Might have to add to the bucket list, looked like a great couple of days
That could be fun, Jarvid, Seb and TK on the salt.

However, I don't do tents.

I also have concerns about how I keep the Margarita in , when I dip the glass in the salt?