How To's Show us what ya did and how ya did it!

Balancer Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 10:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tried to adjust my balancer but it didnt feel like it came to a stop on any thing , so am i doing something wrong oris there some thing wrong with the bike . thanks the bike has 89000 km on it

Old 11-25-2012, 06:21 AM

Resurrecting an old thread here ----

I've tried both the running and not running methods of this.

When I try it not running I can rotate my adjuster 360 deg + and feel nothing like a stop or even tension.
When I've done it running I can again rotate it 360 deg and cannot pick up any hint of a whine.

Over the last few weeks I have just been rotating it ccw a notch at a time until I have gotten a lot of the handlebar vibration to a minimum.

I have looked at a diagram of the balancer and I can't see any kind of 'stop' at all.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by ranchome
Resurrecting an old thread here ----

I've tried both the running and not running methods of this.

When I try it not running I can rotate my adjuster 360 deg + and feel nothing like a stop or even tension.
When I've done it running I can again rotate it 360 deg and cannot pick up any hint of a whine.

Over the last few weeks I have just been rotating it ccw a notch at a time until I have gotten a lot of the handlebar vibration to a minimum.

I have looked at a diagram of the balancer and I can't see any kind of 'stop' at all.
As far as I remember - there is no physical stop - the stop is when the teeth are too tight to allow the shaft to rotate any further.

Depending on the milage and wear you have in the gearbox it may no longer be possible for the gears to go tight enough to stop rotation.

Sounds like you have hit on a nice system to reduce vibration to a minimum.

Old 09-06-2015, 06:55 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice thread, only just read it myself. I have to do it and see what happens. Thank you thread bearer !.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:30 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Pictures of shaft and rubbers, if you can call them that.

This is what comes out of balancer shaft.

Attached Thumbnails Balancer Adjustment-win_20151212_093903.jpg  
Old 10-21-2016, 09:10 AM

no stop in my engine too, but the stethoscope worked wonders for me...

Old 09-06-2021, 11:22 AM

Thanks for the excellent write-up, I didn't even realize that my Big Red had a balancer, now I know!
Cheers!

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
Excessive noise/vibration is a common complaint on any bike, and adjusting the balancer backlash can sometimes make a noticeable difference.
It's a simple procedure, but it isn't commonly discussed, so I figured tonight I would take a few minutes and show you how it's done.

Time: maybe 30mins max
Difficulty: If you can't do it, sell your bike and find another hobby.
Tools: Flathead screwdriver, 10mm wrench, 1/4 or 3/8" drive ratchet and extension, 10mm socket, 5mm hex head wrench. (don't make fun of my ugly screwdriver... )

Attachment 57587

FIRST: Peel back the right side fairing.
Remove the RIGHT side cover (1 screw head) and all the bolts in the following picture. Removing the side cover will also expose 2 more 10mm fairing bolts (not pictured)
One of the bottom arrows is pointing to a hex fairing bolt that is also out of sight. Lastly, you will have to remove the bottom center clip that holds the two fairing halves together. (don't make fun of my dirty bike... )

Attachment 57588

This will allow the right side fairing to hang enough to get underneath it.
It will look like this:

Attachment 57589

And these are all the bolts you should need to take out:

Attachment 57590

You will gain access to the balancer adjuster through this hole:

Attachment 57591

The balancer adjuster will look like this:

Attachment 57592

Now you need to loosen the pinch bolt on the adjuster (pointing down in the pic.... 10mm head)
Next, slowly turn the adjuster counterclockwise (left) with a flathead screwdriver, then back to it's original position. There should be a little bit of drag like the pinch bolt still has a hold on it, but not enough that you can't turn the adjuster.

Now start the engine.

SLOWLY turn the adjuster counterclockwise (left) until you start to hear a "whine" from the motor. Then turn it back until you no longer hear the whining noise.

Turn off the motor and re-tighten the pinch bolt. Fairing replacement is the reverse of removal.

All done!!
Easy, eh??

This should take some of the vibration and/or noise out of your engine. (especially on higher mileage bikes)

**NOTE**
The manual tells you to do all of this with the motor OFF. According to the manual, you should turn the adjuster counterclockwise until it stops, and then back one index mark.
I've found this much less effective than my method. If you want to do it by the book, that's fine. Other bikes have you do it while the engine is running just like I do it. It's up to you...

Last edited by IDoDirt; 09-06-2021 at 05:44 PM. Reason: fixed broken quote