How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

Plastic fairing surgery

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 03:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plastic fairing surgery

I'm currently fixing my street plastics since, well... it's been a long *** time since I've had them on and now that I have track plastics, I might as well have the other. I have a huge assortment of spare plastics laying around in my garage, mostly rashed (mind you, I've fixed my bike up three times - one total rebuild).

The only plastics I really need to fix before I paint is the front/upper faring and the left mid faring. I could easily just buy a replacement one, but hell, I could just fix what I have with a little work.

The Red one is the one I'm fixing. The left side piece broke off from the Deals gap trip. I've already made repairs to it earlier. It's also missing the left upper wing that's lost. How can I repair something when I don't have all the pieces?

Exhibit A:

This faring was given to me by the original owner when he wrecked and it's been in my random bike parts for the past two years. Never know when you need ****. So I planned to use the black upper wing as the donor faring and fix it onto the red faring.

I've lined out a straight edge to cut on both the red and black fairing. I did this so I can cleanly cut the piece and easily attach it with out too much modifications. Using a dremel, I cut a clean line on both.

To attach the donor piece, I used an empty box and cut a slit through the side to have a portion of the piece held up. Having supports is important when you plastic weld otherwise, they'd just fall off. I could use some foam pieces, but a box and a water bottle is what I had at the moment.

You can see here where I cut the piece out.

Front fairing fixed. Now off to my mid faring. I have 5 rashed right mids and 1 rashed left that's a bit broken. I'm missing the mount hole for the left mid that I need, but I don't have another left mid to use as a donor. What do I do?

Exhibit B:

I'm going to cut and transplant a section from a right mid(bottom) and fix the left(top). The curvature and angles in that perspective look very similar so that's where I'm going to cut from.

It's a little hard to measure an odd shape like this, I just roughly estimated the size I need leaving about 1/4" inch margins to cut away and shape the piece. I again use the dremel to cut the piece out and shape.

This is after a good 30mins worth of cutting and shaping. The new piece fits perfectly in and looks like it conforms to the faring quite nicely. Now just add some plastic weld and it's ready for paint after some other minor body work.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:50 PM
Banned
Default RE: Plastic fairing surgery

Hmmm...

Yeah, if I destroy my plastics, I'm just gonna go ahead and buy new ones.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:09 PM

Looks pretty interesting to me. My bike wasnt that bad when i got it but i still had some cracks and things to fix. Sure beats the price of new plastic!

Old 03-03-2008, 09:15 PM

Do you have any photos of the finished product?

Old 09-22-2010, 07:21 PM

I just did a quick search for it and i must be searching under the wrong iteams. Any chance you can post/pm me with the link. I did find the repairing fairing DIY. But since there are no hole do i still need to follow up with the "GOOP" stuff or just straight sand it then paint. I should prolly pm the guy who did it now thsat i think of it...

Old 09-22-2010, 09:12 PM

I dont believe your going to get a PM the post before yours was 2 years ago, but this stuff is pretty good. http://www.urethanesupply.com/plastifixhowto.php