How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

Drive Chain Adjustment steps for F4i

Old 12-05-2005, 08:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive Chain Adjustment steps for F4i

I've created an easy procedure to tighten or loosen your chain. Let me know if something is wrong.

http://www.shraz.net/motorcycle/f4i/drivechain/

Old 12-06-2005, 01:06 PM
Retired Administrator
Default RE: Drive Chain Adjustment steps for F4i

Good looking out. You asked if anything needed to be added, so I hope you like suggestions.

I always had better luck backing the adjusting screws all the way in and counting the flats on the head as I make the adjustment.

The other thing is, you might want to add a step on cleaning the old grease/wax off the chain. Most people I know just add more grease/wax and never clean the chain.

Add the picture showing what a good sprocket likes like compared to a worn one.

You have to look at it from a very novice point of view, if they are looking at instructions on maintenance like this… then they will over look some of the other basic things they should be looking at while checking/adjusting the chain. I hope you like the suggestions… sorry if you didn’t want the input.

Old 12-06-2005, 03:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don's the mang!
you gots to go all the way in then back out...why? because otherwise you'll get a tiny bit of slack between the metal piece and adjusting bolt on the right side...try it...the left side will be tight but you can still move the right side foward and backward....

Old 12-06-2005, 06:01 PM

ORIGINAL: doncollins

Good looking out. You asked if anything needed to be added, so I hope you like suggestions.

I always had better luck backing the adjusting screws all the way in and counting the flats on the head as I make the adjustment.

The other thing is, you might want to add a step on cleaning the old grease/wax off the chain. Most people I know just add more grease/wax and never clean the chain.

Add the picture showing what a good sprocket likes like compared to a worn one.

You have to look at it from a very novice point of view, if they are looking at instructions on maintenance like this… then they will over look some of the other basic things they should be looking at while checking/adjusting the chain. I hope you like the suggestions… sorry if you didn’t want the input.
thanks for the suggestion but that will go into my how to lubricate and clean a chain
which is my next step and will have the link on there

Old 12-07-2005, 05:51 AM

Nice, but a little gumby for novices isnt it? [8D]

Old 11-16-2010, 12:36 AM

Excellent!

Old 03-14-2011, 10:05 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Aside from the obviously plagarised pictures robbed from the Honda manual I have a few issues with your 'guide'.

1. You didn't specify when the chain slack measurement should be taken; i.e. on side stand, on centre stand, with someone sat on it, whilst the bike is being ridden, during a wheelie, during a stoppie or when a family of marsupials are dancing on the seat? You need to be more specific if this is aimed at inexperienced folk.

2. You didn't mention that you should take the slack measurement at multiple places and adjust it with the chain at the tightest point. You mention it briefly later on (without any indication of what actually constitutes a dramatically tighter or looser section), but an inexperienced rider could easily measure a loose/tight point, get a measurement that is within spec and ignore any further adjustment.

All in all, it is a pretty crap guide that lacks detail, isn't noob friendly and doesn't attempt to promote proper working practices by suggesting the use of a torque wrench and giving appropriate torque values. Also, the markings for chain adjustment are notorious for being well out.

Last edited by DonnyBrago; 03-14-2011 at 10:07 AM.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:18 AM

I hate to necro an old thread but i didnt want to start a new one for this question:

Where are you supposed to measure the chain slack? If someone could tell me a detailed location that is easy to find for a newbie. Thank you