How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

How To: Change your fork seals (video)

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 11:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How To: Change your fork seals (video)

So I had a leaking fork seal so I decided to do them myself and last minute I figured I could record it and help some people out. I'm just going to paste the video description I put in youtube and then post a post with the 3 part video on how to do it.

http://www.theteknologist.net/2010/0...cles-fork.html

This is part one of a video tutorial on how to change your fork seals. These forks are from my 2001 Honda CBR600F4i.

**NOTE** Not shown in the video is the filling of the forks with oil. You will need Honda SS3 Suspension Fluid or an equivalent 10W fork oil from another brand. You need to have the SAME EXACT LEVEL in both forks. Also, you need to bleed the dampening rods...you do this by pouring a quarter or so of the fork oil necessary, then pumping the rod several times until it has a lot of resistance...then you pour in the rest.

Last edited by Duo Maxwell; 07-19-2010 at 06:20 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:44 AM

Nice vid, thanks!

Old 06-26-2010, 12:59 AM

good vid man. i will be doing this soon

Old 08-17-2010, 12:21 AM

i love you man... sticky this thread because probably the best video + helps people not be so intimidated of changing your forks

Old 09-28-2010, 10:31 AM

How different would this be for an F2. I was going to have a shop do it. But this really doesn't look too difficult and I always would prefer to do things myself.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:26 AM

As much as that dude in the video talked about keeping **** cleaned, He didnt even clean out the old fluid from the lower and upper fork tubes. Next time, spray a **** load of brake cleaner in there, Drain it out. and repeat till its clean, CLean off the fork spring with brake cleaner, all parts.

You need to get rid of all the old fluid, not just the stuff you can drain off while you turn it upside down.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by bigbob65
As much as that dude in the video talked about keeping **** cleaned, He didnt even clean out the old fluid from the lower and upper fork tubes. Next time, spray a **** load of brake cleaner in there, Drain it out. and repeat till its clean, CLean off the fork spring with brake cleaner, all parts.

You need to get rid of all the old fluid, not just the stuff you can drain off while you turn it upside down.
You have the fork COMPLETELY apart at one point so I don't see the point in filling and draining etc. Just spray some brake parts cleaner on the surface, wipe it down, and be done with it.

In additional mixing a few drops of old fork oil with the new stuff wont cause any noticeable ride difference. I'm not quite sure what crawled up your *** but feel free to document the process if you feel I am instructing people incorrectly, although my 3 track days on those forks at Summit Point Raceway in VA say otherwise.

Regards,
-Duo Maxwell

Old 05-03-2011, 06:10 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did this on my F4 quite recently (just the oil change, didn't touch the seals but I've replaced the seals on USD Gixxer forks before. It's pretty easy) and it was a breeze.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:21 PM

Great videos man! Renews my confidence in doing mine myself soon. So literally the only new parts you bought were a new fork seal for each fork? Nothing else? I don't see any need to replace anything else from watching your videos (short of the oil obviously), but just figured I'd ask.

Old 05-05-2011, 05:10 PM

Yea man its not that hard of a job to do. I thing the hardest part was getting my bike on the jackstands. Oh yea while your fork is still on the bike, loosen the nut on top of the fork, and the allen bolt on the bottom. Its impossible while the fork is off.

Quick Reply: How To: Change your fork seals (video)