General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 02:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring Questions

Well first of all let me say that Im retarded when it comes to wiring and electricals. Im looking to buy some rear turn signals off of ebay and two led light bolts to illuminate my liscense plate. When installing the signals, do I just cut the old wires, splice, and connect it to the new signal wires? Or is it more complicated than that? Also, what do i have to do to wire up the led light license plate bolts?

Old 03-29-2009, 03:39 PM

What bike do you have? When I got my 900rr it had no turn signals/license plate lights. The wiring was already cut into for the rear signals, so I just wired them up like normal. The front had stock wiring, and it actually clipped into the universal flush mounts I bought. I would say make sure you get 3 wire's so you can have marker lights. I bought a LED bolt light and made a bracket for a single LED bolt to illumnate my plate from above. They are simple to wire, positive and ground is all and your bike should have some kind of wiring for it

Old 03-29-2009, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by camaropower
What bike do you have? When I got my 900rr it had no turn signals/license plate lights. The wiring was already cut into for the rear signals, so I just wired them up like normal. The front had stock wiring, and it actually clipped into the universal flush mounts I bought. I would say make sure you get 3 wire's so you can have marker lights. I bought a LED bolt light and made a bracket for a single LED bolt to illumnate my plate from above. They are simple to wire, positive and ground is all and your bike should have some kind of wiring for it
The bike is a 1997 cbr600 f3. I think Ill go ahead and order them and then just post when I screw everything up lol

Old 03-29-2009, 08:12 PM

If I see you repost with problems, I can help lol

Old 03-30-2009, 09:36 PM

I have a 97 F3, also, and just did some rewiring for my front turn signals. A few of the LED signals are two-wire and our F3's are three-wire. One wire is green (ground/neutral... thanks SIRR1 for that info), one wire is for your signals to run as running lights and the other is for the flashing. If you don't care about running lights, then just connect to the green and flashing signal wire.

If your LED signals are two wire and you want running lights, check this out:

https://cbrforum.com/forum/how-mechanical-40/convert-2-wire-signals-3-wire-inputs-84998/

Worked great and it was easy.

As far as the LED license plate lights, I'm assuming that you are getting a pair, you might be able to run them in a parallel connection with vampire clips (wire tap-in squeeze connectors). If you are just running with one light bolt, then you don't have to worry about much more the two wires that are on the harness.

This site helped me for understanding the difference between series and parallel, if you are going to do two.

http://www.ndt-ed.org/EducationResou...elcircuits.htm

Old 04-03-2009, 10:16 PM

I got it all done. They do blink faster but I dont really care. Thanks for the help guys