General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why does my oil smell like fuel??

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 11:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why does my oil smell like fuel??

I just changed my oil and it smells like fuel? I just purchased my bike about 3 weeks ago and seems to run just fine. It just came out of storage and wondering if this is something to stress over?How does fuel get into your oil? It is a 2006 cbr600rr with 9007 miles. Please help!!

Old 03-28-2012, 02:52 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

OK, so the old oil smells like fuel? Ride it on the new oil for a week or so and report back. Might be nothing, might be something, but I'm erring to the side of nothing.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:41 AM

it shouldnt be anything to worry about
that can happen after a bike sits for an extended period of time. just put some new oil in it and go from there.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:02 AM

Its normal for there to be a slight hint of a gas smell when your changing your oil. For one, their chemical make up is very similar, and when oil is heated up over many cycles, it can take on a different smell. Also, the only thing separating the oil and the gas in the cylinders are the rings on the pistons. Every time your pistons go down, they are wiping the oil back off the cylinder wall and into the oil. There is always some oil, (microscopic amounts) coming in contact with gas and re-entering the crank case. After time, it can add up. Usually, the amounts are so small, that it evaporates and you don't notice any change in oil composition, but the smell can get left behind. The smell is much more noticable on high revving engines as well.

As long as your oil level is not higher than normal and there is not an extremely strong smell of gas, you should be fine.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:16 PM

The guy I purchased it from just changed the oil probably about 2 months ago.I cant remember if it looked over filled or not even tilted on the kickstand. The odor from the oil was pretty strong and not just a hint of smell. But I will ride it for about a week and watch the oil oil level too.Thanks and I will post in the middle of next week unless something drastic occurs.

Old 05-05-2012, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by dacamman86
The guy I purchased it from just changed the oil probably about 2 months ago.I cant remember if it looked over filled or not even tilted on the kickstand. The odor from the oil was pretty strong and not just a hint of smell. But I will ride it for about a week and watch the oil oil level too.Thanks and I will post in the middle of next week unless something drastic occurs.
So what dide u come up with? Bad rings? Never heard anything else yet on the subject for this thread. im experiencing the same thing... thanks. hope nothing drastic happened.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dacamman86

ask him if he did the engine flush.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:28 PM

Haha. I just replaced my oil and filter and all is good. I just bought my second f2 two days ago. It had been sitting for 2 years. Damn near everything fluids wise were snot inside. When in doubt just flush it out!

Old 07-29-2021, 04:10 PM
Default Nothing to worry about

Sup sup in general if u have just warmed the bike up for an oil change the oil will smell strong of fuel and I'll explain why when metal goes from hot to cold it shrinks when you start your bike this is when it lets the most fuel into the crank case making the oil smell now, normally you would go ride off and any fuel in the crank case after a few miles down the road would have evaporated and the oil would have a hit of petrol to it, when simply warming the oil to change it so it drains easier there isn't enough heat or time for the fuel to fully evaporate and this would leave a strong smell the signs to look for is colours in the oil like when it hits the road and very quick oil loss, but your best bet if your really worried is buy a compression tester remover your spark plugs screw in you compression tester rotate you cylinder to the compression stroke and pump if it drops in pressure easily and doesn't hold pressure you got a serious issue,