CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

For those of you with gas in your oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 08:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those of you with gas in your oil

I've taken a look at some threads....some reporting that they seemed to have more oil than what was put in at the time...how much more was it? And how bad did your oil smell?

Old 06-18-2008, 01:55 PM
Default RE: For those of you with gas in your oil

If you discover more oil than was put in, it could be due to the oil absorbing vapor. If you take a ride and the oil and engine is fully warmed up for a longer period, you will very likely see the oil level is where it should be or even less!!! Therefore it is important to keep an eye on the oil level on longer rides.
The vapor could also come from you cooling system, but then you have a completely different issue.
My oil is not smelling bad.....define bad smell...

Old 06-18-2008, 02:41 PM

ORIGINAL: trebbien

If you discover more oil than was put in, it could be due to the oil absorbing vapor. If you take a ride and the oil and engine is fully warmed up for a longer period, you will very likely see the oil level is where it should be or even less!!! Therefore it is important to keep an eye on the oil level on longer rides.
The vapor could also come from you cooling system, but then you have a completely different issue.
My oil is not smelling bad.....define bad smell...
really i could have sworn that means it's time to replace your piston rings

Old 06-18-2008, 03:52 PM

It can, but then you will get smoke (blue) and you can for sure smell that you burn oil.
But he did not mention anything about any smoke.
If you smoke is white, it is for sure your cooling system which is leaking.....

Oil will absorb moisture, and the only way to remove it is to ride a longer trip. That is also the reason for changing oil before the winterperiod. Fresh oil will protect yourengine vitalparts a lot better than old oil.

Old 06-18-2008, 04:22 PM

even tho i agree with you, you would only get blue smoke if the oil is blowing by to the combustion chamber. not if the air/fuel where blowing by into the oil. but absolutely, the oil absorbs moisture.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:44 PM

I've worked on too many vehicles to not know what the different colored smoke coming from vehicles means. No smoke at all...only time i ever saw smoke come from the bike was when i rev'd it once really high...other than that...don't see it. Just wondering because i know what oil smells like once its been in a car for a while...and this smells more like oil and maybe exhaust fumes....i know it doesn't have any smell close to raw fuel though...and i seem to have lost maybe a fourth of a quart since i last changed the oil about...eh...3 thousand miles ago if that

Old 06-19-2008, 01:28 PM

if it smells like gas, could be your petcock is faulty. mine did that and it would ruin my oil...finally put an aftermarket shut off valve between the petcock and carbs.just have to shut it off every time i park the bike!!!cheaper than a new petcock though!

Old 06-19-2008, 04:36 PM

ORIGINAL: Guambomber

if it smells like gas, could be your petcock is faulty. mine did that and it would ruin my oil...finally put an aftermarket shut off valve between the petcock and carbs.just have to shut it off every time i park the bike!!!cheaper than a new petcock though!
Really? I know for a fact my petcock needs to be replaced to gain its original functionality...previous owner must have had a leak...and jb welded it til it was sealed. Stills works for reserve and on...but doesn't seem to go off...hmmm