General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird NO Start....sometimes...2003 F4i

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 07:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird NO Start....sometimes...2003 F4i

I just completed a full engine transmission swap on my bike. Everything works excellently now, I even have a second gear (the reason for the powerplant swap) I simply un-plugged the motor with the defective gearbox and stuck in a whole new motor, complete, untouched from the donor...So I now have a different stator and a different starter motor as well as the internal wires that stay with a complete motor. But I still have the very same behavior from this new motor's starting systems....

I still have my intermittent 'no start' issue. Sometimes (maybe 50% of my rides) after about 50-100 sporty miles the bike has a 'dead battery' when I try to start it after a brief stop.
The lights come on, looks normal and everything but when I touch the starter switch....everything blanks out, sometimes after a couple of half-hearted rotations of the motor..sometimes just a 'click'. I can push start it then and ride for a mile or two....then it cranks and starts right up again with the button.

I rode home this evening, about 10 miles, after a 'no start' episode and tested the battery voltage...it was at 12.77v, about 80%... When I test the voltage output at the battery, I see good charging. This is exactly the same symptoms I saw with my old motor...I now have a different stator, starter, and I think maybe the switches too...I forget... Just doesn't make sense to me..anybody want to guess?

I did clean the terminals of the battery as I installed the motor and I used the main switch/relay/fuse bundle from the new motor....I looked at the wires as I had things out and couldn't see any heat issues. The bike was 'kid-owned' and not well maintained when I got it....
Now that the motor and tranny are working so well, I can start to try to trace this glitch down...anyone have any hints on where I should start? Could it be as simple as a crap battery?....When I leave it for a week on the battery tender it reads about 12.8v after I turn the lights on for a few minutes and let it stabilize again...
Thanks in advance if anyone has any ideas.

Don Hanson

Old 11-04-2012, 10:29 AM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd start with your starter solenoid. The connections get corroded and can cause non start issues.