STILL won't start (only when hot though)weird update

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 01:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STILL won't start (only when hot though)weird update

So after tearing my bike apart, cleaning out the starter motor, putting it all back together I thought i had it all figured out, she started right up, ran fine, rode it to work.

after work she started right up again (had been sitting for 5 hours) and i was on my merry way, after riding for a few minutes i stopped to see a friend, and guess what, bike won't start. (at operating temps) acts like the battery is dead. that wouldn't suprise me, stock battery on an '03, its gonna go bad eventually, but the kicker is that it only has trouble when hot. I pushed started it, went to eat, push started it to go home. Last night after i got back from the bar i was like i wonder if my bike will start now that its cold, yup, started right up, 3 times in a row, like a champ.

I also charged the battery with a battery tender that i just bought while i was working on the bike. I don't think its the charging system because a volt meter read 13.5 volts when i checked it with the bike running. and I didn't plug the bike into the charger last night before i went out, so i dont see how the battery would mgic regain a charge.

a friend of mine said to check to see if its the starter solinoid acting up when it gets hot. does any one know where that is located, i thought i was undre the seat behind the batter, which should be isolated from the heat, and the motor is trying to turn over, its not just clicking.

on the bright side i am getting pretty good at push starting bikes.

Old 01-18-2009, 03:22 PM
Default RE: STILL won't start (only when hot though)

hi mate the starter solanoid should be beside the battery (pos end) not neg under a rubber terminal
illuatration 26.2 haynes manual
have you tryed a new battery??
that might be next step
hope that helps

Old 01-19-2009, 11:31 AM
Retired Super Moderator

Sounds like the famed crappy voltage rectifier...my '03 did the same thing, only when hot. Swap it for an 05-06 and i bet it solves your issue...

Old 01-19-2009, 01:21 PM

haha, my 05 is doing the same thing, so dont bank on an 05-06 rectifier to solve your prob.... I still havn't figured out whats causing it either, same symptoms as Gville George

Gville, in the service manual it tells you how you can test the voltage rectifier to see if it is working properly, have you done that yet, I havn't tried it yet, i should.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:04 AM

so i go on the highway today and I gunned it to get up to speed and it felt really strange, like no power or acceleration when it revved up. When i got to a point when there were no cars around i slowed down to about 55 and down shifted a few and got the rpms way up and gave it some gas, and by that i mean wide open throttle, to see if i had power or what was what, it pulled but was a bit sluggesh then hit a wall at 10,000 rpms, almost like a rev limiter but with out the bouncing, just sorta held there no matter what i did with the gas (obviously it would slow down if i let off to much) so i shifted up, it pulled for a second but it stopped at around that same point in every gear. it was a definate WTF moment and i thought i had messed the bike up royally.

anyways, according to my mechanic that is another symptom of a bad battery, it doesnt have enough juice left to run the fuel pump and spark that fast. I geuss i am going to have to shell out the bucks for a new battery tomarrow and pray it fixes all this mess.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:22 AM

oh and no volcom, i have not tested the R/R yet, I have not done a current leakage test at all, and the other thing that would point to it would be low charging voltage, but its not low. I will probably borrow my friends multimeter tomarrow and go ahead and test the R/R, but I am pretty sure its the battery at this point.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:38 AM

check and see if your spark plugs are tight and secure

Old 01-22-2009, 02:14 AM
Default RE: STILL won't start (only when hot though)weird update

GVille,
I also have a 2003 CBR 600rr andexperiencing the same problem. Bike starts right up in the morning when going to work. 8 hours later starts right up on my way home from work. If make a quick stop before the bike hit about 175 degrees, it will start right up and runs with HID's blazing no problems. Now if I've been riding for lets say 30 minutes and I make a quick stop, won't start just makes a tick tick sound. I can whoever push start it with no problem. Or ifI let in cool down for 30-45 minutes it will magically start right up. With this said, I just don't beleive the battery is the the problem. I bought a R/R on Ebay, but have not had a chance to put it in.
I've seen matbe half a dozen of these posts, but no one ever updates to let the rest of us having the same problem know what the "Hell" the problem really was. I guess I'll keep you guy's posted as soon as I get R/R installed.

PEACE