Clutchless Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 04:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutchless Shifting

I've heard the term clutchless shifting a couple times, and was wondering what it meant? 'Besides the obvious' i mean im new to sportbikes fairly only owned mine probably around 4 or 5 months. Can anyone answer this with a legit explanation?

Old 01-09-2009, 05:47 PM
Default RE: Clutchless Shifting

Its up shifting with out using the clutch. When youre ready to shift you stay on the throttle while you put some pressure under the shift lever. Then you let off the throttle and give a little bitmore pressure to the shifter. And click. You just shifted without the clutch.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:15 PM

exactly, much faster and can be very smooth if you do it right (you should still use clutch from 1st to 2nd though)

It works in cars too, you just need one with a slightly sloppy tranny and good timing/throttle control (never done in a car that I owned though )

Old 01-09-2009, 11:04 PM

my truck you just kinda got rev match ( 92 toyota )but easy to do....

its still okay to do it 1-2 its not going to pop up like a 50 lol

Old 01-10-2009, 12:11 PM

I don't really like to do it on my bike... idunno.

But this one time... in my car...

So I'm about 50 miles from home and as im letting off the clutch at a light from 2-3 i feel the pedal shake.

*oh god*

I go to shift from 3-4 and the most horrible sound comes from below (trans am, clutch is about next to my knee)

Well, my clutch literally exploded , and was for the most part stuck (engaged) so I couldn't stop. My options are drive it home or call a tow truck.

So I drove it home through 30 miles of suburb and 20 miles of country, never stopped once. Clutchless shifts all the way home. Needless to say, I am somewhat of a pro at it by now. lol

Two days of work and 800 dollars later it had a pretty new centerforce clutch. I like using the clutch.

Old 01-10-2009, 04:01 PM

Usually I only do it on the way home from the grocery store when I use my left hand for holding bags.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:10 PM

^^ a similar thing happened to my friends nissan 720 pickup when we were trying to teach a girl how to drive a stick, she ended up seizing the clutch up so it was half way out, and would just smoke instead of moving the truck. after a little while of frustration my friend just started stomping on the pedal as hard as he could and somehow he broke it loose and it worked again and ran fine for a few months till we destroyed the truck mudding.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:51 PM

ORIGINAL: Gville George

when we were trying to teach a girl how to drive a stick,

after a little while of frustration my friend just started stomping on the pedal as hard as he could and somehow he broke it loose
glad my gf already knows how to drive stick lol

and it made me chuckle of thought of someone pissed of stomping on the clutch pedal cussing haha sorrry, i just pictured billy bob thortons character from bad doing that inside a tiny pickup lol

Old 01-15-2009, 09:28 AM

hatebreed,
haha dont worry, im sitting in class as i read this and just started laughing and the teacher asked what was so funny....i got the same picture. but yeah i did the clutchless shifting on my old sonoma, haven't tried on the bike yet though......ill let ya know how it goes.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:21 PM

i do it all of the time even between 1st and 2nd and dont have any problems. its far smoother that using the clutch

Quick Reply: Clutchless Shifting