General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very loud Engine Tick! Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 12:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very loud Engine Tick! Help!!!

Hey, I am new to the forum and new to riding over all. I bought a 2001 honda cbr 600 F4i 2 months ago, and it was in great shape, sounded great, ran great.

The bike has 17000 miles on it, and my friend never did the valve adjustment on it. I saw valve adjustment was recommended in the owner's manual at 16000 miles, so i took it to a shop and had them do the work.

When the bike came back, it's making a very loud tick noise in all RPM range, and the shop told me that all the intake valves were out of spec but they put new shims in.

They told me the loud tick is due to a stretched out timing chain, and my cam chain tensioner is still good. To fix the super loud tick, i would have to get new timing chain, new sprockets and new sliders.

I am very skeptical that the bike wasn't make the noise before and now is, but it does feel a little more power in the lower end than before i took it to the shop. I uploaded a video on youtube, and any help would greatly appreciate it.

My apologies for the shaking video, my phone sucks! (or user error)

Happy Riding!

Old 02-15-2013, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts

Based on what I hear, I'd say that the shop screwed up. There is no chance that the timing chain is bad, not in 17K miles. Cam sprockets, you've got to be kidding, they're out of their minds. You most definitely need a second opinion.

Personally I think they hosed the job.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:51 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gotta go with Dirt on this one. Get a second opinion.
And don't run the bike till you can get one.

Ern

Old 02-16-2013, 07:58 PM
Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

Yah, not making the noise before it went in but is making it after they do work on it to me means they screwed something up.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:32 AM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

I agree with Ido & Ern.
To warrant new cam sprockets you'd almost have to have deliberately damaged them somehow. The shop are talking bollocks. They've probably over shimmed one or more valves. I'd take it back to them and ask them to prove their work. A bike should NEVER come out of a workshop in a worse state than when it went in especially if it involves abnormal noise. If they were any good they'd have sorted it out properly before they let you have it back.
Yellow card the mechanic and whack his pee pee.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:58 AM
Party Animal, ROTM June 2014

I agree with everyone else. It sounds like valve tick to me. I would bet that the shop screwed up on the shim measurements.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:23 PM
Default update on the case

Hey, thanks for all the help. Update on this issue:

I took it to an another shop, they found that one of the valve on the right side of the intake was missing the shim, and now we are trying to figure out whether the shim was dropped in the motor or the previous shop just forgot to put it in.

So I called the previous shop, and they are going to look for it.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by theninjaspacecombat
Hey, thanks for all the help. Update on this issue:

I took it to an another shop, they found that one of the valve on the right side of the intake was missing the shim, and now we are trying to figure out whether the shim was dropped in the motor or the previous shop just forgot to put it in.

So I called the previous shop, and they are going to look for it.
That is F!@#$%^ unbelievable. The sheer incompetence of that shop just makes me sick. Then to try to blame it on another portion of the bike.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the vast majority of repair places are completely incompetent. No one will do a better job on your bike and do it with more care than you will. If you'll take the time to learn how to do the work yourself, you'll be better off, and so will your bike.

I can just hear the other shop now... hey guys, any of you seen a shim laying around...

Old 02-20-2013, 05:09 AM
Talking

Had my f4i since 2003 and through the years spent atleast 3G's on repairs! With my own hands! Yee-ha!
Everyone should own a repair/service manual for their rides! Only 10bucks EBay.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

haha noise from a timing chain that's being stretch...that's quite a story.

I sorry to hear about your misfortune. it's ridiculous that the mechanic who did the valve job didn't double check his/her work. I almost dont believe it. Anyways, if the shim fell into the cylinder, then a good way of knowing is getting a stick with a magnetic tip and stick it down the spark plug hole.

I know that you can report car mechanics for misconduct. By law, car repair shops have to post a sign that has info, including a phone number, of where you can file your complaint. I wonder if it's the same thing for bike repair shop.

Last edited by mnguyen84; 02-25-2013 at 11:39 PM.