General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble shooting top end bog n die.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 09:25 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble shooting top end bog n die.

Hey,
I just got a CBR 1000F from a guy who had it sitting for a year.
It had broken fuel Ts and I wanted it all looked at carefully since I do not know this type bike.
When the shop finished it (carb cleaning, tank purge and more) I went to pick it up and they informed me it would die at top end running after warm up.
They said they could keep trouble shooting it but, I think I can get this. Iv'e ruled out the vent in the gas cap, seems like there is a venting system in the cap (ran with it cracked open... sounds dumb but oh well), I replaced the petcock vacuum seals / diaphragms thinking they were not working correctly.
CURRENTLY: Im looking at hoses, Im reading that the ram air keeps the floats at a even pressure somehow BUT, my bike does not have the ram air.
I did however find a missing hose and made the connection to the top carb T that was missing a hose.

QUESTION: Does anyone know what this hardware does and what the hole under it should be connected to OR what it does?

Name:  96e06da4.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  119.7 KB
Name:  b940b6ad.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  53.6 KB

Old 07-17-2011, 12:03 PM

Not sure what that could be, but where does the clear, plastic pipe go to/from? Might be a good idea to look at another bike the same as yours, that's if you know of any in your area. Bit of a long shot, but might be part of the problem you're having with it running properly. Let us know if you find the answer? Interesting!

Originally Posted by ThaBrock
Hey,
I just got a CBR 1000F from a guy who had it sitting for a year.
It had broken fuel Ts and I wanted it all looked at carefully since I do not know this type bike.
When the shop finished it (carb cleaning, tank purge and more) I went to pick it up and they informed me it would die at top end running after warm up.
They said they could keep trouble shooting it but, I think I can get this. Iv'e ruled out the vent in the gas cap, seems like there is a venting system in the cap (ran with it cracked open... sounds dumb but oh well), I replaced the petcock vacuum seals / diaphragms thinking they were not working correctly.
CURRENTLY: Im looking at hoses, Im reading that the ram air keeps the floats at a even pressure somehow BUT, my bike does not have the ram air.
I did however find a missing hose and made the connection to the top carb T that was missing a hose.

QUESTION: Does anyone know what this hardware does and what the hole under it should be connected to OR what it does?

Old 07-17-2011, 12:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by highwaypatrol
Not sure what that could be, but where does the clear, plastic pipe go to/from? Might be a good idea to look at another bike the same as yours, that's if you know of any in your area. Bit of a long shot, but might be part of the problem you're having with it running properly. Let us know if you find the answer? Interesting!
Want to hear something funny? The weird hose you see I bought from ace hardware. There is a hose missing obviously and a empty fuel T plug in the middle of the carbs facing up towards the tank. (I shoulda got a pic of the whole thing)

I completely removed this little box and attached a homemade ram air box to it and attached the other end to the middle top carb T. The carb T had no hose going to it when I bought it. (just had this thing about a month).
FYI: it runs really really good.
I read another post about ram air to the carb or something like that keeps gas under the floats at high speed. I wish i knew more.