General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front axle sliders?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 11:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front axle sliders?

I'm looking at my front axle (F4) and I'm not sure how people put axle sliders on the front. The front axle is hollow, but it has a bolt on one end (thus preventing putting a long threaded rod through the axle). What do people do? Do they just take the large bolt out and run without it?

Thanks,
Chris

Old 07-16-2011, 11:38 AM

Just had a look on www.crashbobbins.com where I bought my crash bobbins for the engine and they sell wheel axle sliders for the CBR 600. The sliders come with a hollow axle and all necessary fittings. Go to the site and see for yourself!

Originally Posted by segraves1
I'm looking at my front axle (F4) and I'm not sure how people put axle sliders on the front. The front axle is hollow, but it has a bolt on one end (thus preventing putting a long threaded rod through the axle). What do people do? Do they just take the large bolt out and run without it?

Thanks,
Chris

Old 07-16-2011, 12:24 PM

Well that explains a lot. Thanks.

Old 07-16-2011, 12:36 PM
Old 07-16-2011, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by F34Me?
Thanks but that is the rear axle. I'm dealing with the front axle (it has a bolt closing one end which prevents putting a threaded rod through it).

Chris

Old 07-17-2011, 04:22 AM

Hi! Did you go to the www.crashbobbins.com site I sent you? It definitely shows the front ones for CBR600s 1999-2004, but you have to select Honda and then scroll right down to the bottom of the page and you will see them. Let me know if you have any problems finding them on the site?

Thanks but that is the rear axle. I'm dealing with the front axle (it has a bolt closing one end which prevents putting a threaded rod through it).

Chris

Old 07-17-2011, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by highwaypatrol
Hi! Did you go to the www.crashbobbins.com site I sent you? It definitely shows the front ones for CBR600s 1999-2004, but you have to select Honda and then scroll right down to the bottom of the page and you will see them. Let me know if you have any problems finding them on the site?
Yeah I went there. Thanks. I got that they sell a new axle with theirs, however I know I have seen people talk about using threaded rod to mount the sliders. Regardless, it looks like they no longer use a bolt in the end of the axle.

At this point I'm trying to figure out if the bolt that is in the axle really serves a purpose or not. If (as I suspect) the clamping action of the lower triple will hold the axle in place without the bolt being there, then sliders should be easy to install.

Chris

Old 07-17-2011, 12:32 PM

Chris
I understand completely the differences between the front and rear, I was simply posting it to give you some ideas of how you might be able to accomplish your goal.

The pinch bolts will not be good enough to hold the axle in place on their own, they are meant to be left somewhat loose. If you had a bolted in slider at each end helping out, with a rod connecting them, I think it would be fine.

Last edited by F34Me?; 07-17-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by F34Me?
I understand completely the differences between the front and rear, I was simply posting it to give you some ideas of how you might be able to accomplish your goal.
Thanks I got that (and that link is actually one I had looked over before to see how I might do sliders), however my problem really is this on bolt on the end of that axle. It's got a solid head so it's not like I can slip a threaded rod through it. That leaves me with 2 options that I can see:

1 - Toss the bolt out entirely
2 - Drill a hole in the head so a threaded rod goes through with the bolt in place

But without knowing what people typically do with it, I'm reluctant to do anything. I really don't want my front wheel coming off at highway speeds.

Attached Thumbnails Front axle sliders?-f4axlebolt.jpg  
Old 07-17-2011, 01:04 PM

I would ditch the bolt and use a rather thick bar through the hollow axle. The axle is shaped in such a way that one side is held on by the counterforce from the other side. The pinch bolts are mostly just meant to keep the axle from spinning, they only have 20lb of torque I think?

My idea was to use a rather thick hollow rod which is the same OD as the bolt that goes into the axle. Use a collar on the other side to hold it straight and recess the slider into that side so it isn't sticking out further. Then bolt the slider onto the other side to replace the bolt that you removed. Of course you'd have to do a fair bit of searching to find sliders that would be capable of meeting all these criteria.

Quick Reply: Front axle sliders?