General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 06:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default throttle body

does anyone know what would happen if your throttle sensor was not hooked up? I believe that mine is not hooked up however the bike runs great. Does this make sense??? 1999 CBR900RR

Old 06-24-2010, 06:25 PM

Doesn't make sense to me. If Im not mistaken, the throttle position sensor on your bike controls timing and spark advance. So it would probably idle ok, but after you got into the throttle, it would probably run extremely rich, or lean. If I had to guess, I'd say it would run rich, just because the timing is not advancing like it is suppose to.

Can you not see the sensor to see if its plugged in?

A picture of the wires in question may help too. Also, what color are they?

Old 06-24-2010, 10:04 PM
Default throttle sensor

Yea, that bike ran great... with the sensor not hooked up. I finally decided to bit the bullet and take the tank off and trace out the wire and sure enough it was not connected. and there was a small hose that goes into the air box that was disconnected as well. I guess when I took it in for the tune up the mech. forgot to hook it back up. I cannot imagine that it simply came loose on its own because it snaps in. Well after just going for the tank removal air box removal I put everything back and it fired right up. Hopefully it will run even better. Thank you so much for your reply.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:10 PM
Default lowering

hey would you happen to know how to lower the bike. It has the typical red spring type shock and it looks like I could lower it some but I have no idea how and if I lower that the back do you do anything with the front ? thanks again for any help. I am an old guy for riding a CBR 900 RR and don't know much about bikes but I am learning man.... and love it.
thanks

Old 06-24-2010, 10:18 PM

typically, to lower the rear, you would buy a lowering set of "dog bones". They are the links that connect the shock to the swingarm. Different length ones will give different rear heights. 1.5 inch drop is typical, with 3 inch drop being pretty extreme, but doable.

As for the front, most bikes anyway, you simply loosen the triple clamp, and slide the fork tube up through the clamp. You want to keep the drop to less than an inch, and typically, 3/4 is about max you want to go.

The other factor is buying another kickstand to modifiy, unless you want to modify your only one. It will be sort of a guessing game as to how much to shorten the kickstand. Typically though, for a 1.5 inch drop rear, and 3/4 drop front, a 1 inch section out of the kickstand works out well.

Make sure you do your research on how lowered bikes handle. They do not handle the same. As long as your ok with the lowered bikes comprimise, you shouldn't have any issues. Just realize there are consequences for lowering a bike.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:20 PM

here is a set of lowering links on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...Q5fAccessories

Just be sure if you do lower it, you have the bike well supported. As soon as the bolts are loosened on the front, it will crash down if not supported. The same for the rear of the bike. A rachet strap to a rafter works well. Or a few friends to hold the bike while you get it set.

Last edited by justasquid; 06-24-2010 at 10:22 PM.