General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 12:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting Troubles

Short Version:

2002 CBR F4i with ~19,000 miles. Cranks and runs fine but takes a few tries to start. Worried it will stop starting altogether or I will drain battery trying to start and get stuck somewhere.

Long Version:

I had it completely tuned up at 15,000 miles (new plugs, oil, valves checked, etc) which was about 1.75 years ago. It sits outside and I cover it up when it rains when I'm around (about 95% of the time).

For the past few months I've had starting troubles. I think it's getting worse but the issue is fairly random.

The engine seems to crank fine but starts randomly. Sometimes it starts on the first press but more often than not I have to hold the ignition for 2-3 seconds a few times before it starts. Sometimes it starts right as I let go. The bike seems to run fine (apart from a CCTL I think is going bad again). No stuttering, knocking or any notable of loss of power when riding. I want to say the gas mileage has been worse but that's probably just because I've been using it more in the city than out on open roads. No error light.

Past issues:

At least a year ago as I was driving home the bike was making a terrible noise. The ignition switch had gotten stuck and the starter was trying to run the entire way home (luckily it was only about a mile). I didn't have any immediate issues though.

The previous owners did some modifications and I wouldn't doubt if there is some poor wiring or old or bad connections. Once or twice since I've owned the bike I have been caught in the rain and the bike and I were soaked. It would not start the next day after it had dried off so I would ride my bicycle to work and let it sit. The day after though, it would start fine.

I'm probably going to take off the fairings and do some general maintenance (clean brakes, lube chain, check air filter, charge battery, etc). I have a multimeter and can check voltages and what not.

From other posts my guess is it may be the starter clutch or a bad kill switch / tip sensor. Any suggestions? Anything to look for when I poke around?

Thanks.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:32 PM
Nov 2011 ROTM

Very hard to guess sight unseen but.....Sounds like maybe an injector going bad, dirty or sticking after sitting or a maybe the same of the fuel pump. Even maybe debris in tank.

If it always 'cranks', its not a starter issue.

I guess I 'd start there but if its intermittent, thats going to be tough till something fails consistantly.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:48 AM

I mixed some seafoam in my already full tank and bought some injector cleaner for when it's empty. Hopefully it will help / fix the problem. I assumed the injectors were fine since I mix a little seafoam in the tank every couple of months and stick with "Chevron with Techron." Also, the bike seems to run fine after it gets started.

Thanks.