F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Hot starting troubles

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 08:50 AM
October 2011 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hot starting troubles

Last week I ride home from work and stop at the bank real quick. Come out, turn the key the temp reads 220 which is normal. Go to fire it up and it sounds like it wants to start but wont so I blip the throttle and vroom we're off again. I thought well that was odd, its never done that before. Then today I am riding to work stop to get gas, go to start it, temp is 222 and once again it won't unless I blip the throttle. It never has a problem starting cold. Just lately it won't start when it is hot unless I blip the throttle. After it is running it runs/idles perfect fine. Anyone else have this issue? Any thoughts? Should I shut up, blip the throttle and move on?

Old 08-13-2010, 09:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So the starter will crank over the motor but it wont fire unless you blip the throttle?
Maybe your stator is going bad or your battery is going out.. Still have the stock battery?

Old 08-13-2010, 10:24 AM
October 2011 ROTM

I'll press the starter and it will crank good and sounds like it wants to start but just struggles unless I give it some gas (all it takes is very little throttle). Once it starts I let off the gas and it will idle and run great. I have no idea when the battery was changed. I bought the bike last year and I have never changed it. But I don't think its the battery or stator because if that was the case I would think it would have trouble starting all the time not just when the motor is hot?? Cold starts are not an issue. The bike starts up instantly!

Old 08-13-2010, 10:27 AM

How many miles are on it? Maybe your throttle bodies could use a good cleaning.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:32 AM
October 2011 ROTM

There almost 15,400 so that could be true.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by R Dub
There almost 15,400 so that could be true.
However, mine has almost 40,000 and has never done that. Hopefully someone can chime in with some experience and a solution.

Off topic: your sig picture looks like a R1 headlights. Looks great. Do you have projectors in there?

Old 08-13-2010, 02:38 PM
October 2011 ROTM

I am wondering if I turn my idle up just a hair if that might help. What do you think?

Thanks DEBAU. Nope they are factory lights. Must just be the angle.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:19 PM

I was going to suggest messing with your idle screw. Give it a shot, might do something.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well what are you idling at when its at operation temperatures? Unless its -/+100 rpms at 1300rpms I wouldn't touch it.

If your opening the throttle that means it is trying to make it run leaner to let more air in the cylinders. Have you check FPR?

Also get a voltmeter and check the charging rate of your battery around 4-5k. It should see around 13.5 and up volts if not maybe your rectifier or stator is going bad or getting weak and causing it to not give you that extra juice to push it over. Hotter temps/Heat equals higher resistances in electrical at times. Maybe something is getting too hot. Would be a good area to check.

I have 24k on my bike and throttle body's have never needed cleaning. You have lower so I would assume that's a issue unless there is some carbon build up around the butterfly.

Old 08-15-2010, 05:40 PM

That happened to me. I just put the battery on a trickle charger overnight and didn't have any more problems. That was over a year ago.

Quick Reply: Hot starting troubles