General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sprocket and chain question...

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 12:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sprocket and chain question...

Hey guys, I've got a couple more questions. I didnt want to bombard that other guys post, as that wouldnt be right, so I started my own.

As some of you already know, I have 2003 CBR 600 RR. The previous owner decided (who knows why) to "gear it down" by adding two different sprockets. He went down a tooth in the front, and up two teeth in the rear. Now, my question is this:

Which sprocket makes the most difference? Would I get a closer speedo/odo reading as well as less wear and tear (and of course, actually be able to cruise without cranking it up lol) better if I went back up a tooth in the front or back down 2 teeth in the rear? It seems to me that the front would make the most adjustment....

Question Number 2: Does anyone have a colored chain? Are they just as good as a regular chain? I am looking into getting one, and if you have any suggestions, PLEASE, feel free to fling them by me. I'm kinda set on a Red on, so as to match my color scheme. What chain do I need exactly [&:]

man im glad I have people to talk to that know what they are talkin about Honda peoples is the best peoples

take it easy,

Chris

Old 03-09-2005, 01:51 AM
Default RE: Sprocket and chain question...

EK makes some good COLORED CHAIN, and here is the deal with your gearing...most likely with the mentioned change he had to change the chain and if you add teeth to the front or the back the chain will effectively get shorter and vice versa the other way..That is a pretty radical change for a bike that already seems a bit busy at the freeway speeds, so I will reccomend gettin a stock rear and -1 in the front....if you want me to get it for you let me know
this will still make your speedometer off a bit, but not as bad as it is now

Old 03-10-2005, 12:40 AM

hey limp... im not sure what your talking about... so go back down two teeth on the rear and go down one more on the front?.... wouldnt that make it go farther away :S anyway... I just want it a little less "busy" as you put it on the highway (60-65 and up) It also feels a bit funny to get into 3rd gear to cruise through my town, where the speed limit is 25... then 35 (bump it to 4th hahaha) It has proven to be effective on the "get up and go" part though (so I wouldnt mind still havin some of that) It is a bit touchy. I hardly ever need to use the brake, lol. Just downshift

but yeah. Give me a quote, ill see what I can do on my end of it. I dont really feel like changing BOTH sprockets though, so one or the other would be nice, but if you think its necessary, I'll maybe take it and run. Which sprocket is easiest to change? and reeed chain

Thanks a lot man, hope to do business w/ you,

Chris

Old 03-12-2005, 06:12 AM

Gearing can be confusing. But its a balance of acceleration and crusing for most daily riders. Since your gearing is already fairly radical id second the recomendation with going back to a more normal gearing in back (OEM) and dropping a tooth in the front. That is the setup I use, and it seems pretty well balanced for a machine I use for fun as well as daily commuting. I almost forgot, id highly recommend changing your chain and sprockets as a set if your going to invest the money in new ones. Due to the nature of sprockets and chains, they tend to wear unevenly as they mesh together...if you put a new chain on a sprocket that is worn you tend to wear out parts faster....just my .02 cents.