General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slight ticking?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 01:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slight ticking?

I posted this in the F3 section as well but I just found this forum and thought I might get a quicker reply. Supposed to look at the bike after work tonight so I'm trying to hurry and narrow it down slightly.

I haven't got this bike yet but I probably am tonight. It is a 96 cbr600 with 16k miles. He said he was riding home the other night when the bike started bogging down so he pulled over and shut it off.

He said he restarted it a few min later and it ran ok and he made it home. Said the next morning he started it and it sounds like a sewing machine now.

Guy I know told me it sounded like he ran it low on oil but I honestly don't know. The guy claims it has plenty of oil in it.

He wants 1000$ for the bike and it is in amazing shape. It has never been down and everything is very very very clean.

He said someone told him it sounded like a wrist pin but I have no idea. How much would it cost to get a bike engine rebuilt? Anyplace sell kits?

Old 09-30-2006, 01:53 PM
Default RE: Slight ticking?

It may not be as serious as he says, but it certainly doesnt sound good. For 1k it may be worth it and if need be, buy a used motor. Engine work on bikes is expensive, mostly because few people do it themselves. I dont know what a rebuild would cost but I would guess your 1k bike would turn into a 3k project. If the body is AWSOME and just needs an engine, that is probably worth it in my opinion, if you're willing to do the work. Otherwise just buy a different one and ride.

Old 09-30-2006, 02:50 PM

Mine started the ticking too. Pretty sure it is the cct lifter. Ordered one from local dealer it will be in early next week. I would buy the bike if I were you. My guess is it is either the cct lifter or valves need to be adjusted. Mine quitens down after engine gets warmed up. Post some pics of the bike if you buy it. If not give us the number of who has it and it will sell fast on here

Old 09-30-2006, 11:41 PM

ok....an update. My friend who relayed the message is retarded.

Its a 1993 F2. It is amazingly clean but it has 27k miles. New rear/front tire.

Here is the story...guy rode it to work. It was fine. Someone at work (garage) turned the fuel off on him. He got onto the interstate and it shut off. Noticed his fuel was turned off. So he switched it on and it ran...but not very well. Then is when it started ticking.

He messed with the switch and it won't let any gas threw now at all. The switch feels like it is broken. Doesn't have any resistance like my 4 wheeler/dirt bikes did. I thought about grabbing the gas tank off my dirt bike and seeing if it would get it running.

If it was running lean could it cause ticking? Hopefully it didnt run it lean and kill it.

Old 10-02-2006, 02:43 AM

I just bought the bike. It started right up and the ticking is pretty loud. It does sound like its in the top-end tho. Hoping its just a cam chain tensioner or something. It idles good. But the ticking is fairly loud. Also it hesitates slightly. Not sure what position the peacock is on tho. Or if its letting enough gas by or not.

Old 10-02-2006, 05:04 AM

The CCT is probably not the cause of the ticking although could be making noise as well. Try listening to the warmed up engine through a 2 foot piece of 5/8 heater hose to isolate the area of the engine the
ticking is coming from. Do at idle and slightly up from idle. There are guys here who could probably tell you the cause.

Old 10-03-2006, 03:20 PM

my 89 also has a slight ticking at idle and lower rpms. It goes away when the rpm's go above 3 or 4k, and it is intermittant. Meaning, sometimes it doesn't tick. It does remind me of a lifter tap I had in my previous car.

Is this something I should be really worried about?

Old 10-03-2006, 09:38 PM

I almost have my motor out of the bike. It sounds like its knocking in the bottom end pretty good. So I am ripping it apart to see whats up. I assume its about to throw a rod.

Found a motor for 375$ shipped. So I'll have 1375$ in the bike. I can't complain to much. Can tell it was laid down at one point in its life. But all the plastic much have been replaced and it rides straight so I'm not going to complain. I removed the decals it had on it so its just black now.

Gonna be interesting getting it all back together without a manual lol.

I assume the chain will have a master link?

Old 10-03-2006, 09:56 PM

Here she is right now.