Slider/engine mount bolt - Page 3 - CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners


General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #21  
Old 08-12-2017, 03:06 PM
900rrGuy's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Santaquin, UT
Posts: 100
Default

I think new sliders is a must have on a good bike. It can turn an awesome project into a mediocre project in the eyes of some people. It's the little subtle things that catch the attention....details are important.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-13-2017, 06:46 AM
dec111's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 100
Default

Am I asking for trouble by putting heat on the aluminium mount? As seen in 1st pic. Or better to heat bolt itself?

Slider/engine mount bolt-slider-1.jpg


Slider/engine mount bolt-slider-2.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-13-2017, 07:33 AM
sjona2011's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Monticello, Indiana
Posts: 720
Default

heat the mount itself, just dont get it red hot.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-13-2017, 07:48 AM
dec111's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjona2011 View Post
heat the mount itself, just dont get it red hot.
Roughly how long is max to keep heat on it mate? And if I do get the b'stard out is there a chance the threads will be shot and not usable again?

Cheers.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-13-2017, 09:38 AM
heresolong's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Blaine, WA
Posts: 111
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dec111 View Post
Roughly how long is max to keep heat on it mate? And if I do get the b'stard out is there a chance the threads will be shot and not usable again?

Cheers.
Threads are rarely shot to the point of unusability and if they are, you can put a helicoil or Time Sert in to recover them. You will definitely want to clean them out with a tap or thread chaser before inserting the new bolt which will be coated with copper anti-seize.

When I heat up stuff like that I generally give it a couple minutes with a propane torch (I use propane because it is lower heat than MAPP gas). I'd be tempted to let your mechanic at it now rather than later because the more you bugger it up now the harder it will be for him if he eventually gets it.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-13-2017, 11:21 AM
dec111's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by heresolong View Post
Threads are rarely shot to the point of unusability and if they are, you can put a helicoil or Time Sert in to recover them. You will definitely want to clean them out with a tap or thread chaser before inserting the new bolt which will be coated with copper anti-seize.

When I heat up stuff like that I generally give it a couple minutes with a propane torch (I use propane because it is lower heat than MAPP gas). I'd be tempted to let your mechanic at it now rather than later because the more you bugger it up now the harder it will be for him if he eventually gets it.
Yeah that's what im thinking, don't want to end up having to ride it to him minus an engine bolt
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-17-2017, 12:27 AM
900rrGuy's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Santaquin, UT
Posts: 100
Default

Where are you located?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-17-2017, 09:05 AM
heresolong's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Blaine, WA
Posts: 111
Default

Given the liberal sprinkling of "mate" and "cheers" in his posts, I'd guess Australia with England a close second.

:-)
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-17-2017, 10:28 AM
900rrGuy's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Santaquin, UT
Posts: 100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by heresolong View Post
Given the liberal sprinkling of "mate" and "cheers" in his posts, I'd guess Australia with England a close second.

:-)
Yeah, I got that!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old Yesterday, 03:03 PM
dec111's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by heresolong View Post
Given the liberal sprinkling of "mate" and "cheers" in his posts, I'd guess Australia with England a close second.

:-)
how dare you?!

Irish.......
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Frame Slider Mount Bolt Size AirmanSkee F4i - Main Forum 0 06-11-2014 09:16 PM
Frame slider engine bolt Travis_ 600 Modifications 2 01-18-2014 07:48 PM
Engine mounting bolt/slider bolt question chambers F4i - Main Forum 3 03-23-2012 05:10 PM
cant remove right engine mount bolt flyingfree9 CBR 600RR 1 01-30-2010 09:32 AM
Torque setting for Engine/Frame Slider Bolt darkcbr1000rr CBR 1000RR 1 07-11-2006 12:32 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:19 PM.