General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slider/engine mount bolt

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 05:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Na, no welder. Couldn't get a pipe wrench on, no flat sides as it's a hex hole bolt, the outside is round. Even any point in trying heat lads? Cheers

Old 08-09-2017, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by CaBaRet
Hi Dec, have you got a mig welder you can put a good sized nut on and blob weld it in place, handy things those little machines for something like this
Unfortunately not mate, live in an apartment so no storage. I think I'll just give it to my mechanic,.I've a funny feeling it's going to shear. Never came across the likes of it and I've done a lot of ****ty jobs like hubs etc on motors!

Old 08-09-2017, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dec111
Unfortunately not mate, live in an apartment so no storage. I think I'll just give it to my mechanic,.I've a funny feeling it's going to shear. Never came across the likes of it and I've done a lot of ****ty jobs like hubs etc on motors!
Hi Dec, have heard a theory somewhere how steel reacts with aluminium ,a chemical reaction occurs and they become almost inseparable , think something like a zinc paste on the bolt should of been used to keep them separate, but I could be talking B======s, will have a look at that myself, a bitch really, sorry couldn't help matey.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by CaBaRet
Hi Dec, have heard a theory somewhere how steel reacts with aluminium ,a chemical reaction occurs and they become almost inseparable , think something like a zinc paste on the bolt should of been used to keep them separate, but I could be talking B======s, will have a look at that myself, a bitch really, sorry couldn't help matey.
Im beginning the think that's the case! A right pain!

Old 08-09-2017, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dec111
Im beginning the think that's the case! A right pain!
Did look and here it is, should have had to copper grease, is all very technical, too technical for me
Article: Bimetallic (galvanic) corrosion risks from contact with galvanised steel or aluminium

Old 08-10-2017, 12:45 AM

Yeah, pita. Strange the other side came out so easily

Old 08-11-2017, 12:35 PM

maybe it got cross threaded and someone just kept running it in? anyhow, find someone with a welder, weld a nut onto the bolt and let it cool off and spray it with penetrating oil, and if you can, take a torch to the motor mount while you try to back the bolt out. it might take welding a few nuts to it, but it'll come out eventually.

also, get a tap to chase the threads when you get the bolt out. im gonna assume its 10x1.25, so maybe call around to different hardware stores, its not a common size.

Last edited by sjona2011; 08-11-2017 at 12:38 PM.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by sjona2011
maybe it got cross threaded and someone just kept running it in? anyhow, find someone with a welder, weld a nut onto the bolt and let it cool off and spray it with penetrating oil, and if you can, take a torch to the motor mount while you try to back the bolt out. it might take welding a few nuts to it, but it'll come out eventually.

also, get a tap to chase the threads when you get the bolt out. im gonna assume its 10x1.25, so maybe call around to different hardware stores, its not a common size.
dunno, think it'd be kinda difficult to cross thread such a long bolt. Gonna bring it over to them lad who does my difficult mech jobs and see what he can do, if mess about much more I'll prob shear then flamin thing and end up in a nightmare

Old 08-12-2017, 01:28 PM

sounds like a stainless steel bolt was put into an aluminum frame..........people never learn!

Old 08-12-2017, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by 900rrGuy
sounds like a stainless steel bolt was put into an aluminum frame..........people never learn!
​​​​​​Yeah that and the bike on its stand in the rain, water would have been seeping down over the years to bind everything together. A nice fresh set of sliders has turned into not a good idea ffs!

Quick Reply: Slider/engine mount bolt