General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shift Forks/ Gearing Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 02:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shift Forks/ Gearing Problem

Ok, I have a 99-00 Model Honda CBR 900 RR, and When I am in 1st gear, and if I hit high RPM's or gain power in 1st, and go to shift into 2nd gear, it catches neutral HARD and won't go into second cleanly. Also sometimes when I am in 2nd gear, Hitting High RPM's it will slip out of 2nd Gear. A friend of mine said that my Shift forks were more than likely bent, and I needed to get them replaced, maybe something else, but that is more than likely the problem. I know I would have to split the case to fix this, and basically take apart the entire motor.

Could anyone do this for me who lives on East Coast, or show me a manual to do this, step by step...... Or could someone give me an estimate on how much this would cost to be fixed...... Someone just point me in the right direction...

Thanks
D. Adkins

Old 02-28-2006, 10:12 AM
Default RE: Shift Forks/ Gearing Problem

Wish I could help you out, I know its going to be alot of work. My old bike is a 95 Kawasaki ZX7 and it has the same problem, it slips into neutral under hard acceleration, well any acceleration at all. I talked to a couple dealers and they said its the shifter forks and I would have to tear the whole motor completely out and split the case. One alternative would be to look for a completely different motor and just swap them then sell your old one on ebay to make some of the cash back. I think that would be your best bet, I just decided to sell my old bike and buy the F4i. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

-Jesse-

Old 02-28-2006, 10:12 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It does sound like you've got a worn or bent shift fork. A shop manual (Honda original of course) will give detailed instructions on how to do this. Hardest part is dropping the motor. It helps to have a strong buddy to help you. Parts will run you about $100-$150 depending on your dealerships mark-up. If you have them do it expect to pay around $400-$500. Good luck.

Old 03-01-2006, 02:38 AM

how do the shift forks get bent anyways

Old 03-01-2006, 09:40 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a long throw from 1st to 2nd (gotta go through neutral) and as sportbike riders we tend to really slam that sucker home. Over time the weakest part bends -- and that is the fork. It's hard to believe that they cost so much because there isn't much to 'em.

Old 03-02-2006, 12:03 AM

ok i see that make sense got another question when i put it in first from nuetral i can really hear it ingauge and from first to second same thing is that just cause its goin into gear from nuetral and then on first to second same thing is that cause it goes through nuetral this is my first street bike so im not used to it and a bit peranoid and also when in nuetral and clutch in when running its quiet then i realese it and hear like a spinning noise mid way up the the engine is that just cuase of the tranny free wheeling

Old 03-02-2006, 12:04 AM

the bike is a 97 with only 5600km on it its still looks like new

Old 03-02-2006, 01:37 AM

its more than 400-500 dollars if a shop does they will probly tell you that you will need shift fork #2 and should replace them all since your in there. plus your shift drum will have definite wear on it and the dogs on some of the gears will have wear plus dust seals bearings sealant all things that might not need replacement now but enough to think that while the crankcases are apart replace the worn stuff.would suck to have to crack the cases again.if you take it to a honda shop there books may say 10 hrs to fix at a rate of 60-70dollars an hour plus 250dollars in parts you'll break a grand. or depending on how mechanical you are do it yourself.not too hard for me i am a mechanic but ask me questions any time.good luck.