F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

shift forks possibly?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 03:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shift forks possibly?

I've been lurking a while, but this is my first post....

I've searched and searched but haven't found any threads about this exact problem. Some people's bikes, nothing happens when they go into a gear, or it's slipping, or it pops out of gear only at certain rpms, etc....

my '03 f4i with 27,000 miles when I shift to 3rd and let out the clutch, it kicks it back down to second. rarely does it actually function correctly, and I think it when it does work, it's when I'm going all out. Also, sometimes when shifting to 3rd, the shift pedal just sticks in the up position and it to get it out, I have to let the clutch out a little where it kicks it back down to 2nd.

I thought of just replacing the clutch, but wanted some opinions. I appreciate the help/advice.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:29 AM

bump

Old 05-11-2012, 01:53 PM

Definitely not the clutch. A bad clutch would make the transmission slip (give it gas and the revs go up but the bike won't accelerate), not pop out of gear. It's probably the shift forks. My last F4i had a similar problem (would pop out of 3rd gear into second) and it was the shift forks.

Last edited by DarkNinja75; 05-11-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:26 PM

man, I don't even wanna know how much that'll cost to fix. might just have to suck it up for a while and keep skipping to 4th gear

Old 05-11-2012, 10:28 PM

Sounds like shift forks, or the transmission its self is shot.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:32 AM

Thanks for the advice.....I found the whole package used(shift forks, drum, gears, etc.) for $100. I have the service manual and my buddy and I are gonna break it down and fix it.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by brndnmrrs
Thanks for the advice.....I found the whole package used(shift forks, drum, gears, etc.) for $100. I have the service manual and my buddy and I are gonna break it down and fix it.
Take pictures! Both so you remember how to put it back together and so we can see. I almost did this to my last F4i but didn't have the time and sold it off.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:51 AM

don't force anything! get some deep creep, liquid wrench whatever, and a rubber mallet for some persuasion.
Also pick up a nice torque wrench, i got one from sears that was 80 bucks or so, measures in newtons and ft pounds, everything in the book should be newtons.
and keep in mind, you are going to be riding it.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:31 PM

definitely will do on the pics, especially with my ADD, Ill be marking where everything goes! lol Looking in the manual, apparently I need a couple Honda "special" tools, some locknut wrenches and flywheel remover. Has anyone found/used a non-Honda version of these that don't cost an arm and a leg like they do from Honda? Or if anyone is in the Dallas area that has those tools and would like to rent them to me, that'd be great.

Ordering new gaskets and O-rings, once everything comes in, we'll get started, probably next saturday, will keep ya posted

Old 05-14-2012, 05:56 PM

i'd hate to say it, but i removed a flywheel by putting it in gear and placing wood in the wheel/frame of a bike before.
if im not mistaken the tool is just a belt that grips the flywheel and keeps it from spinning, with some leather you can possibly recreate that
if you go to a shop that isnt a motorcycle dealer they probably have pulley pullers
and everything else.
now that i think about it i do believe i threaded a bolt into the flywheel to remove it.

Quick Reply: shift forks possibly?