General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Signal Intergrator Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 06:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Signal Intergrator Problem

Ok I bought a turn signal integrator yeaturday and finished the install today, but I have a problem. Everything works how it should, signals work, tail lights work, brake lights work, except when you have the signal on and you touch the brake the signal stops and it just lights up the other bulb (for the brake light) Whats causing this to happen? The signals flash at normal speed, I'm not using led bulbs and it only happens when the brake is on. Do I need a heavy duty flasher unit or is there something that I missed? Thanks in advance

-Jesse-

BTW if you don't know what I'm talking about it looks kind of like this-

[IMG]local://upfiles/3901/13AFAB4142884011BF72B252745D2E03.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-18-2005, 08:02 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Rear Signal Intergrator Problem

Do you have a separate bulb for brakes and r/l blinkers? If not that's your problem. You'll either need separate bulbs or dual element bulbs. The brake signal is probable bleeding through to the front blinkers also, eh? I used one of these on my former bike and just modded the tail light assembly by drilling/installing 2 more lights. Also cut and glued a piece of plastic in between the blinker bulbs so direction of blinking would be easier to see.

Old 12-18-2005, 08:09 PM

ORIGINAL: chainstretcher

Do you have a separate bulb for brakes and r/l blinkers? If not that's your problem. You'll either need separate bulbs or dual element bulbs. The brake signal is probable bleeding through to the front blinkers also, eh? I used one of these on my former bike and just modded the tail light assembly by drilling/installing 2 more lights. Also cut and glued a piece of plastic in between the blinker bulbs so direction of blinking would be easier to see.
I have 2 bulbs and each are daul element bulbs. Why would the brake light bleed through? I know what your saying but it just doesn't make sense to me. I want to get this figured out tonight so I don't have to mess with it anymore. Thanks for the reply

-Jesse-

Old 12-18-2005, 09:01 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

O.K. if you have 2 bulbs that are dual element then I'm thinking those are your original brake lights, right? If so, the low wattage element is the running light and the higher wattage element was for brakes. If you connect your blinker to the high watt element then it will blink until you hit the brakes -- basically it will still be blinking but since it's still getting 12v from the brake input it'll stay lit until you release the brakes. The reason it could bleed through to the front blinkers is because they're tied together -- that's what happened on mine ... I'd hit the brakes and my front blinks would get bright

One solution is to add 2 bulbs in the tail light section dedicated to r/l blinker. Or you could just add marker lights. Either way is relatively simple but might take some time.

Old 12-18-2005, 09:03 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

Forgot to add you can use the low wattage element for your blinks but you'll have to cut the power to your rear running lights. That'd be the easiest thing to do -- maybe not the best thing but for sure the easiest.

Old 12-18-2005, 10:10 PM

The thing is that I have a converter thats suppost to cure the problem with the brake lights over powering the signal but its not doing what its suppost to. I might just leave it the way it is but not sure. Thanks for the replies

BTW I had rear signal, but I wanted to clean up the rear of the bike therefore installing the turn signal converter.

-Jesse-