General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is this a problem or not?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 12:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is this a problem or not?

hi! ok the mechanic broke the reserve switch on my cbr f2, it already had a problem and it was stocked in the on position, thats how i bought the bike, dont now how the previous owner "fixed" it. so something in the petcock broke, he forced it when trying to switching it off to remove the tank, i hope im making my self clear, and sorry for my english. the thing is when i started my bike i could smell gas, so i found out it dripped from the fuel **** under the tank, from that little out let under the valve( it has it for a reason obviously right? ). so what he did was plug that and he said it was ok to ride like that and there was no problem, i think there is a reason for that to be able to overflow no? do you know how does it work and what could be the problem if i use my bike like that? it starts and rides normal... thank you for your time!

Old 11-28-2006, 12:26 PM
Default RE: is this a problem or not?

It seems that the diaphram in the petcock is broken. It can be a problem if one of your float needle/seats leaks. Then liquid gas can get into the cylinder and cause hydro-lock. It can break starter teeth and bend connecting rods. See if you can get a petcock on ebay or see if Honda has a repair kit for your petcock.

Old 11-28-2006, 01:01 PM

Can't you just buy a new Petcock?

Old 11-28-2006, 06:27 PM

ORIGINAL: envirocbr

Can't you just buy a new Petcock?
i guess i could buy one, i just wanted to know, learn and understand if there was a problem using my bike like that? because it work fine now, and if i realy needed to spend 150 on a new one, they are more expensive down here? and as you can see most mechanics arnt very reliable in mexico. the guy that sold me the bike told me to conect it directly to the gas with a hose, is that right?
BY THE WAY!! i think my cct is starting to make noises, is there any quik fix for that or am i also going to have to buy a new manual one?? ? ?