General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prepping for ICE riding

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 08:30 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ya, I got the part about training and ice being rain only more consistent. And I thought that maybe I agreed that it would be fun to try. Most of the people responding have never heard of riding a sport bike on ice. Seemed that other than being somewhat ignorant peeps mostly had the dudes welfare (and that of his bike) in mind.

And I did use a smiley when I called your ice racing sport bikes a silly thing. Some might surmise from that use of smiley technology that I was jesting with you. Not putting down your sport. So again, lighten up on the defensive posturing.

As for using someone elses bike, what pipe are you people smoking? Wouldn't you want to experience your OWN bike on the limit? How would riding a 99 YZF600R teach you about your 600F4i? Or for that matter, back to one of my points before, how does a dirtbike teach you how a sportbike behaves?
That one's easy -- because if you completely wad your bike, and it's your only bike, then the suckitude is magnum. In a perfect world I guess we'd all have 5 of the same bike models to stunt, race, street ride, drag and ice race, sorry, ice train. But if the OP has only 1 bike and he really wants to ride it for fun on the streets come next summer then it was reasonable advice to proceed with caution ... which it seemed he was doing anyway with mention of gear and cages and such.

So we are pretty much agreed that it would be cool to ride around on ice ... spread the knowledge to those that would listen. Heck, if it was on TV I'd watch it

Old 12-20-2009, 10:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for clarifiying guys, I tend to jump on the defensive really quick nowadays. I put countless thousands of hours and dollars into my Bandit 1200 'Fighter and wadded it up on the street due to a tank slapper going high side. It was not only spectacular, but it tought me that I needed to know more about the limits. I wasn't even close to them, I was only doing 60mph commuting from A to B when cresting a hill the beast started to head shake and then before I could react, the chassis was following the front wheel and it was tossing me into the sky. I had no car, no 2nd bike, nothing for money, just put a new set of Pilot Power's on it too, got it painted 2 weeks before. Then just like that, it was over.

I vowed to understand the limits of the chassis before stepping foot on a bike again. I spend a ton of time on the dirt over the summer and rode the CBR600F3 off and on over the summer also. But most important of all, I began to understand where and how to explore without spending big dollars or having to touch the same limit the best in the world touch (on asphalt) to feel what was going on under me often enough to become comfortable with it. At this point in my riding I welcome a healthy headshake to tell me when enough is enough.

The pursuit of ice racing/riding (however you want to refer to it ) is to feel headshake and chassis instability long before they become a problem. I understand the desire to preserve your ride. TRUST ME ON THAT. I mentioned elsewhere in this thread the idea of early to mid 80's open class bikes being a great way to "feel" out a chassis on the limit for cheap. I'm at that point now, I don't want to buy another B12 to ride the ice with it, but I want a bike similar in weight and handling to train with.

Beull backed a few 1125R ice bikes lately. Just noticed it. It looks like this is catching on and my bro and I just seem to be louder about the word than most so we get the majority of the attension on the net here.

http://www.superbike.co.uk/news/nitr...ws_282137.html

And a new vid discovered from the Swedes that used to have the Ice Road Racing Camp. Alot of action scattered through the vid. One awsome moment where the GSXR600 is walking all over the place cornering.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxXRd...eature=related

And for the record. This is probably ALOT more fun than a sportbike but in intensive training purposes the chassis raced in the season is the training platform for the off season to.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKCjk...eature=related

Again, sorry for going off the deep end a little there. I appreciate everyone clarifiying your stand point before getting defensive as heck back at me. My apoligies for my over reaction.

CBRonICE

Old 12-20-2009, 11:02 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like I said it's all good

Old 12-22-2009, 03:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found the clip of the CBR hitting the deck, it only happened once on the track and once here in the pic/gif attempting donuts for the first time ever. No damage either time. You can clearly see his head bounce off the ice HARD. It also happened on the GPz600 he has now but on asphalt. ATGATT.

Name:  TocCrash.gif
Views: 14
Size:  489.7 KB