CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://cbrforum.com/forum/general-tech-9/)
-   -   Prepping for ICE riding (https://cbrforum.com/forum/general-tech-9/prepping-ice-riding-103735/)

daf 12-03-2009 12:34 PM

Prepping for ICE riding

Ok first off, sorry if this was posted in the wrong forum. Seemed like I couldn't go wrong in "General Tech".

I have a 1996 F3 that has currently become my project bike. It's housed in a rural area and there are plenty of places which I could ride in the winter including some large lakes that freeze solid. This brings me to my main point of question....The bike is nearly naked as I took off all the fairings so I could fiberglass, fill and imperfections and repaint them. I have some friends who said they could help weld up a custom cage but I want to make sure I am protecting my bike. It seems like the cage would have to extend forward to protect the side of the radiator..? If it were to go down on it's side without any plastics or protection it seems like the corner of the radiator that sticks out would be destroyed and cause significant damage to the bike. SO ... anyone know of any good articles, threads or just some good info as to how I can prep my bike for the ice? I have frame sliders that aren't attached, but what about front fork "pucks" and swingarm sliders, I imagine those would help too? What about studs, can I use the motocross studs sold at my local bike shop and sink em into the current tires which are about at their end anyways? I really want to make this happen, with minimal cost so any help would be greatly appreciated.

- Cage blueprints / ideas / links to cheap(er) manufactured cages.
- Fork slider ( pucks? )
- swingarm sliders
- Removal of electrics, headlight / taillight assemblies
- studs
- warm socks
- am I missing anything?

-

Wes

bambam 12-03-2009 02:40 PM

- am I missing anything?
a little common sense... this wont end well bro....dont know why..but it sounds kinda fun..

canhead64 12-03-2009 03:37 PM

sounds like fun as long as you have a backup bike! oh u missing spikes for your tires like those motocross ice racers have. that way u could actually RIDE with out falling over every 5 seconds.

kilgoretrout 12-03-2009 09:30 PM

I wouldn't do it, daf. I've ridden dirtbikes on ice and snow, and I can't even imagine trying to pull it off on a CBR.
I'd imagine it's totally different trying to ride a 450lb street bike vs. a dirtbike with studded ice tires. The weight and size alone make it much more dangerous and much harder to control. I'd say your chances of crashing pretty badly are like 100%. :)

If you're dead set on running ice, maybe look into a cheap dirtbike and stud it up?

STREETFIGHTER88 12-03-2009 09:56 PM

If it goes well
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJJn3...eature=related

If it goes bad lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UicKuOnWv9s

Preid 12-04-2009 11:34 AM

Those Gixxers :icon_goofygrin:

Life jacket, just incase.

bambam 12-04-2009 12:33 PM

streetfighter, that first vid is pretty cool, hes got a track out there and was just killin it, mad props to that guy .... second video...they probly shood of just left that kawi there...

marc0011 12-05-2009 01:18 AM

This some what reminds me of the guy who wanted to ride with night vision goggles at night with his headlight off. The first vid was pretty cool/cold I gotta say. Good luck with this, sounds like you're taking caution in protecting the bike, but what about yourself. You can still get rash from ice.

daf 12-10-2009 01:00 PM

What's up all,

Okay yes I was completely planning on studding the *%&$ out of my tires. I have done some research and most say to take the tire off completely, and mount ( glue ) some sort of liner to the inside of the tire. This will allow you to punch studs through your tire without hitting the tube or killing your tire. I have yet to try this but I plan on buying a pair of take offs this weekend and cutting them up. I would wear full gear to protect myself, I know ice can still mess me up so I would take care in that department. I wanted to protect it so that I can lowside and not have to worry... TOO much atleast.

Personally, I was expecting more positive feedback. Which makes me think that maybe I am expecting this to go a little too well? I was all ready to do this, but you guys are making me think twice. . .

OH P.S. .... I would wait until the ice is completely frozen, to make sure that ( vid 2 ) doesn't happen to me Lol.

chuckbear 12-10-2009 01:54 PM

Dude... I'd just get urself an old 2-stroke CR250 with studded tires and save yourself a lot of trouble. A lot lighter, a lot cheaper, and made to work better on loose surfaces. Just my opinion..

As soon as your rear gets a little loose on the CBR, you're toast. On the dirtbike you have the advantage of knobbies and the fact that it's made to ride with a loose rear end.

Don't get me wrong... it sounds like a blast... but I think a dirtbike would work better.

Good luck though, and take lots of pics/vid!! :icon_bike: