General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

packing your own yoshimura? anyone done it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006 | 09:02 PM
Default RE: packing your own yoshimura? anyone done it?

i just did my pipe too! i drilled the rivets out of both ends, removed all the packing and moved the yoshi plate to the other side and re-riveted it on -because it had some dents on the one side. then just re-riveted the end caps back together with just the baffle. man it sounds great and there are no more dents just a weld down the middle--i love it!

for reference= i used 3/16" x 1/4" rivets!

Old 06-17-2006 | 09:24 PM

How loud is it without the packing? Does it have a nice sound or is it kind of raw without it? I just took mine apart last week to check the packing to see if it needed to be repacked, but didn't bother taking it out to see how it would be.

Old 06-17-2006 | 09:51 PM

it sounds throatier than with the packing. it has a rumble and a really crisp sound when you crack the gas. i think that it sounds really good and not like something is broke. i hope that somewhat helps but its hard to explain a sound..

maybe 95conv5.0 can explain it a little better.

Old 06-18-2006 | 04:31 AM

its raspy as hell, but so so mean at idle! i love it but other people might have a different opinion!

Old 06-18-2006 | 04:58 AM

Well, I just tried it for giggles and I don't like it too much. Idle was pretty loud and anything under 3-4k rpm had a resonance sound that drove me up the wall. Accelerating up to the higher rpm's sounded close to before. I think I'll repack mine, but that's just me.

Old 06-18-2006 | 08:07 PM

man, I love'm loud... my(ex)vf 1000f, could be heard 3 mi. away !!!!!!! and up my favorite canyon...insane!!!!!!!
But... something i didn't find out untill i built my own proper(revision therory proper) race cans, was that I couldn't have near as much fun, actualy ride'n. Those cop call'n cans, kept me from anything but 3rd gear lope, in town, on the way in and out, too. "Cop callers", an understatement !!!!!!!!!!! I had to be atleast a mile + out, to not be paranoid. It's one thing to have a loud harley at 6000r's, entirely dif. on the 1000, at 7000- 10500r's.
You know how you "make the choice", screw it, I'm go'n for it? I found it a liability, being precieved as"go'n for it", just ride'n along...especialy just cruise'n, or srub'n speed quick, for a cop.I always had to clutch and brake, to get the r's(wail) down fast.
I also would caution, blow'n cars off. at full song... they weave, like a f-16 just strafed 'em, all over the dang lane, some times even over the lines... definatly dangerous, for bike buddys following me, in the pass.
Ya know, everybody's got a cell phone...and I don't want to be squeeeled off, for preceived "dangerous driving", by a cager, possible prompted by gett'n the crap scared outa themselves.
So... I understand the LOUD thing... I love it...but... It does open up an entirely new can of worms.The "invisability" thing... should not be underated, it alows us to have, MAXIMUM FUN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Clean and free, Ripp'n

Old 06-20-2006 | 11:36 AM

I don't have the yosh pipe, but I just did a re-pack. Before, it was very cool sounding but after a while it became obnoxious. I have the Black Widow full race exhaust and stage 1.7 race jet kit. It has a itanium front header, and carbon fiber can. The can has a twin baffle chamber. I put it on the dyno before the repack and it had 138.6 rwhp. After the repack it had 140.2 rwhp. When I removed the rivets from both ends of the can, it was hard to get the inners out due to the way that BWR packed it. They had wrapped the outers of the baffles with a material similar to steel wool. This was not wrapped around each individual baffle. Then they had two layers of wrap, covered by a heat resistent plastic. I think this design was a bad idea.

Now, I wrapped the packing material around each baffle, then put a secondary layer around both individual layers, and finished it off, by loosely wrapping with heat resistent plastic (this is the combination along with the carbon fiber) to understand how the carbon fiber allows you to touch it even after it has been running at optimal temparature. The only problem(s) I had during the process was having to use two different rivet lengths as the end caps and the can are oval with twin outlets.

Sound difference was amazing. Having the new packing in it, made it sound even better. It refined the sound so it had a more crisp effect rather than that blatt you would get from an open baffle.

-----------------------
94 CBR1000F-R (second owner)
Black Widow titanium/Carbon fiber exhaust
Stage 1.7 jet kit
K&N Filter
Air Box Mod
Iridium Plugs
Bridestone BT014 Ultra High Performance tires
Still under 11,000 miles
148 bhp.

Old 06-22-2006 | 02:04 AM

So I have been trying to drill the rivets out of my Two Brothers carbon pipe and I have been having some difficulties. First, when I drill into the rivet, the rivet itself just starts spinning so I can't drill any further. Second, I have managed to take off the rivets from one end of the can but I cannot get the end off, do I need to take the rivets out from both ends of the can? Any help would be much appreciated!

Old 06-22-2006 | 09:44 AM

Answering in two parts.

You don't really have to take both ends off the can. I took them off because it allowed me to work with the can off the bike much easier and I wanted to know (for knowledge) how each end cap fit.

Second, if your rivets or just the rivet head is spinning, angle the drill bit or "swirl tilt" the drill. Another way is using a pair of needle nose pliers to hold onto the outer ring of the rivet head as that is all you need to detach from the rivet. Then take an equal size center punch and tap the rivets in past the outer thickness of the shell. As far as getting the end cap off, I used a really wide flat head screwdriver and pryed between the outer shell and the lip of the end cap. I was very careful and did this with patients, as the shell is carbon fiber ( didn't want to crack it), and the end cap was polished (didn't want ot dent or scratch it). When ya put the end caps back on the shell, don't forget to run a small bead of hi temp silicone around it and then wipe excess off.

All the best!

Old 06-24-2006 | 01:47 AM

So I finally finished my exhaust project, thanks for the help. The reason I started into this project was because the bike had been laid down by the previous owner which left a rash on the bottom part of the carbon fiber can. I took the can apart and shortened everything by 4" effectivly removing any part of the rash. Everything is back together and it looks great (I personally like the shortened can look since I'm making a streetfighter). Again thanks for the help.