General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise under braking as coming to complete stop

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 01:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise under braking as coming to complete stop

Hi guys,

I tried searching for this, generally the response was that it's normal but nowhere could I find a solution. I just had the brake pads on my 600 F3 replaced, front and rear. Works great, however as I'm coming to a complete stop, from ~15 km/h and lower there is a lot of noise coming from the front brakes.

From what I read this isn't harmful. I've done about 1500km with them, although about 1300km was a long distance trip with relatively little braking. The bike has about 64k km on it.

However it's quite loud, turning heads as I stop at traffic lights. So I'm looking to resolve the issue or at least reduce the noise. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Old 04-29-2014, 03:44 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Copper paste on slide pins and the "horns" at the ends of the pads MIGHT reduce the squeal, some pads, specially cheap ones, just squeal and there's not much to do about it other than buy better ones the next time round. I once had to re-replace a full set to my old Vw Passat cause they were screaming at low speeds even when not braking, taught me to not cheap out on them...

Old 04-29-2014, 04:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take them out and file a 45 degree edge on them. Works on most pads in bikes and cars. If there was no noise prior to the new pads being installed I'd file them and if still making noise I'd change the brand to a reputable one.
Good luck

Old 04-29-2014, 06:15 AM

What make of pads? Cheapo pads will always do this, I use EBC on both cars and bikes and never had a single squeal...

Old 04-29-2014, 06:44 AM
Welcome Crew
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kiwi born and Mattson both have good suggestions. The paste, or "caliper lube", the lil pack that comes in auto brakes, cuts down on squeeling some. Also the edges should be chamfered a little. Just the leading and trailing edge. A lot of brake pads will make noise, depending on their compound. Semi metalllic pads are notorious for this. You may need to look into some organic compound pads. Another issue, shouldn't be a lot of a problem on a bike, is semi metallic pads produce a lot of dust, which will in turn produce more noise.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:55 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

What kind of noise? Is it actually a squeal? Or is it a different kind of sound?

Old 04-29-2014, 02:54 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions! Yeah a squeal is probably the best sound to describe it. I don't know what make the pads are, I had the servicing done, but I'll try to find out. Also I'll try filing the edges and clean up anything that might be caught in either of them. Actually just today I did some 80km on it, with lots of medium braking and downhill. At the end the noise seemed somewhat less severe than it was before..