F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

2005 f4i squeaking while coming to a stop

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 11:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 f4i squeaking while coming to a stop

i have been hearing a loud squeaking noise while coming to a complete stop.

it's a 2005 f4i with 20,000 km's (not miles).

this basically is intermittent and only hear the squeaking while I am coming to a complete stop. when i hear this, i am not breaking, but on clutch.

i have no oil leaks to say, it could be fork seals.

any ideas? thanks.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:55 PM

Where does it sound like it's coming from? Front? Rear? Engine? First thing that comes to mind is shot wheel bearings.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:56 AM
Default 2005 f4i squeaking while coming to a stop

Originally Posted by kowen1208
Where does it sound like it's coming from? Front? Rear? Engine? First thing that comes to mind is shot wheel bearings.

the noise is from the front. i am trying to figure out, exactly where it is; but it's going to take some time for it to get more consistent.

what would cause wheel bearings to wear out at 20,000 km's?

Old 05-21-2010, 09:57 AM

I just was about to post a new thread when i came across yours.

I'm not sure if we have the same problem but I myself hear this whiny squeaky noisy when I'm rolling to a stop clutching in 1st gear. I only hear the noise when i'm in first, so i'm guessing tranny issues(hah).

Anyone else run into this? I got an 02 f4i with 19K on it.

Also, I this i just got this bike and I completely love it. I've been trying to learn how to wheelie and i'm having a hard time doing it in first. from what i've seen i need like highhhh revs to get enough torque to get the front up. This normal?

Old 05-21-2010, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by zone01racer
what would cause wheel bearings to wear out at 20,000 km's?
The most likely cause would be poor care while changing the tire. If the area around the axle wasn't kept clean while exposed, dirt could work its way into the bearings. A squeak in this case would be dirt being pushed around by the ball bearings and scratching the bearing housing. The dirt moving around would cause it to be intermittent.

See if you can get it to squeak again with a friend pushing the bike while you listen for where it's coming from.

Originally Posted by maltaPaul
from what i've seen i need like highhhh revs to get enough torque to get the front up. This normal?
I don't wheelie myself, but I've heard plenty of people say the F4i is pretty easy to wheelie even in 2nd with stock gearing, and it's not 'til 3rd that it needs some help up.

Last edited by kowen1208; 05-21-2010 at 10:47 AM.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by maltaPaul
I just was about to post a new thread when i came across yours.

I'm not sure if we have the same problem but I myself hear this whiny squeaky noisy when I'm rolling to a stop clutching in 1st gear. I only hear the noise when i'm in first, so i'm guessing tranny issues(hah).

Anyone else run into this? I got an 02 f4i with 19K on it.

Also, I this i just got this bike and I completely love it. I've been trying to learn how to wheelie and i'm having a hard time doing it in first. from what i've seen i need like highhhh revs to get enough torque to get the front up. This normal?
mine couldn't be tranny. i'm certain it's coming from the front wheel.

did you get your issue with the squealing sorted out?

Old 06-02-2010, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by kowen1208
The most likely cause would be poor care while changing the tire. If the area around the axle wasn't kept clean while exposed, dirt could work its way into the bearings. A squeak in this case would be dirt being pushed around by the ball bearings and scratching the bearing housing. The dirt moving around would cause it to be intermittent.

See if you can get it to squeak again with a friend pushing the bike while you listen for where it's coming from.
That makes sense.... come to think of it, it could possibly be the wheel bearing.

how can you tell if it is for sure the wheel bearing?

when i get a fried to push and if i don't hear anything, what could it be?

the noise has kinda died out, but comes up; once in a while. more or so, when the bike has been ridden for about 10 minutes or longer.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:19 AM

I would dismantle and service all the inner wheel parts as described in the service manual:

1. Clean the axle and collars in solvent to remove all grease and dirt.
  2. Remove any corrosion on the front axle and collars with a piece of fine emery cloth.
  3. Check the axle surface for any crash or other damage. Check the axle operating areas for any nicks or grooves that can cut and damage the seals.
  4. Check the axle bolt and axle threads for damage. Replace the axle and axle bolt if their corners are damaged.
  5. Check the axle runout with a set of V-blocks and dial indicator. Replace the axle if its runout exceeds the service limit.
  6. Check the disc brake bolts for tightness. Tighten the bolts to 15 lb-ft if necessary.
  7. Clean the seals with a rag. Then inspect the seals for wear, hardness, cracks, or other damage. If necessary, replace the seals.
  8. Turn each bearing inner race by hand. The bearing must turn smoothly. Some axial play (side to side) is normal, but radial play (up and down) must be negligible. If one is damaged, replace both bearings as a set.
If you do need a set of bearings, they should only be around $25. I would also check your brakes to make sure that they aren't rubbing when they're not supposed to.