General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No start

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 07:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No start

Hey guys, I had a fuel leak coming from the bottom of the fuel pump (seal?) for about 2 days I rode the bike still but it continuesly was leaking. Now the bike cranks and doesnt start. Bike has bout 1/2 tank gas and there isnt any water in it. I dunno if the fuel pump completely cut out and its not pulling fuel or my plugs are fouled or what the deal is. Any suggestions???? thanks

Old 07-24-2006, 07:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: No start

you have 2 options with the fuel pump, im not sure if its when you turn the key on or when you try and start it, that the fuel pump should start to pressurize, place your hand on the pump when you turn the key on and try to start it. if it starts to pressurize then it should be fine. the other option is to take a lead wire and give the pump direct power to see if it starts to pressurize. and of course you could try another one that you know is working. if the pump is already full of gas it will not be as apparant as if it was empty. if you drain the fuel lines after the fuel pump and give it power it will constantly pressurize until it is full. id also look into getting a repair manual for your bike which you can get here:

http://www.cbrextreme.com/downloads/F4manual.zip

it should tell you how to test the fuel pump more accurately by voltage and what not

Old 07-24-2006, 08:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At a guess I'd say, if you have a leak in your fuel pump, then maybe thats the prob, (if petrol can get out, air and other crap, can get in) it's a pump and they need a certain amount of air pressure to work.
When you try to start it, do you hear an audible knock from the pump? Gets louder if starved for fuel. Other than that , it may have lodged bits of rubber (seal) and other crud in your in-line filter. Maybe the leak has affected the fuel cut off relay somehow, (located just behind the regulator), but that would be stretching it.
You can check if fuel is coming out by disconnecting the fuel hose that goes into the rubber "T" pipe (the ones that go to the carbs or fuel injectors), make sure you have something to catch the fuel in, coz if it's working it comes out fast. Crank the motor for a few seconds. That will tell you at the very least, if it's working or not.

Old 07-26-2006, 01:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks guys yea i gotta find some time to look at it but thank u for the advice.