General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No spark

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 09:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No spark

Hi all, Finally got my 2000 929 running after sorting out some major electrical headaches. Everything was working and bike was finally running but then it died and would notstart back up. I am stillgetting fuel but now not gettingspark on any of the ignition coils. I checked the codesand wasgetting FI codes for TPS, MAP, IAT sensors. I realized that the MAP and TPS wiring connectors were reversed. I corrected this but still am not getting spark. The Black/white wire has battery voltage and the other 4 wires going to the ignition coils all have battery voltage also but does not appear to be getting peak voltage when trying to start.Anyone have any ideas what might be causing this. Need to know if the wiring being reversed could have fried the ECM? What components create the peak voltage to the coils. The service manual says to check the yellow/blue blue/yellow wires but can't seem to find them anywhere. Any help would be appreciated as I am out of ideas.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:38 AM
Default RE: No spark

It's a bad ECM the reversed connections on the TPS and MAP sensors must have burnt it out. ***FYI to all these connectors look the same and are in the same general area. Be sure not to reverse them and start the bike as it could burn up your ECM.***

Thanks
Jeff

Old 04-07-2008, 11:12 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good to hear you found the problem... sorry to hear it was the ECM.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:02 PM

Thanks, I replaced it once before but am just glad to have found the problem this time so quickly.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:58 AM

Ok got a new ecm. Put it in, bike started right up and ran good for a couple minutes. Then the engine cut out. Tried to restart and same issue again no spark. Bike primes pump and cranks over but won't fire. Seems like something is causing the ecm's to burn out. This is the third one I've had in the bike and all worked for a few minutes when put in then stop working. Pulled the coils andwith known good plugnot getting a spark when grounded to block. Checked for error codes and there aren't any stored in the ecm. Has anyone ever had a similar problem with ecm's burning out. I am going through the electrical wires one by one to see if there are any issues. This can be an expensive issue to trouble shoot if I keep having to put ecm's in it to see if the issue is fixed. Everything in the electrical system works fine. I did find that the ground from the main harness that connects to the headlight wiring does not have continuity to ground and a previous owner spliced a ground wire from the headlight harness to the frame. Everything else that is tied to this groundoff of the main harnessworks kickstand switch, rear lights, ect. I am going to replace the main harness with one I am testing that came with the last ecm. I have also replaced the headlight harness with a good one that doesn't have the splice. Please let me know if you have ever had this problem and if so what was the cause. I figure there's an electical issue somewhere and just want to be sure I've tested everything before burning up another good ecm...
[:@]