General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Problem!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 09:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if they weren't wet and the thick black was dryed like thick dirt on em it prob wasnt actual oil, the spark plugs will get very gunky after long use and the heat will turn the threads and everything black and the electrode will get corrodid with crap and when enough gunk builds up no more spark. if you could post a pic of one of the plugs might be able to get diagnose it, but im guessing that its just a case of old worn out plugs and just need to throw in some new ones, might as well now that they are out they're not very expensive can get em most places for anywhere from 10-25 bucks depending on brand and what not, but you could clean the old ones with a wire brush gently to not damage to much and maybe use parts cleaner to get that black crap off they might still work, if you did that definetly re-gap the plugs but new ones is the way to go, cleaning wise, unless your inclined to take the carb off and the jets out and give it a thorough cleaning spraying some carbcleaner into the throttle bodies and then running a bottle of carb cleaner you would dump in the gas tank would help, but i would be surprised if it didnt pop awake with the new plugs in there. (unless there is something more complex wrong with it but cross your fingers and ill cross mine for you too lol) also i would check the airfilter and those hoses and ports, spray off the airfilter with an airhose beat is on something a little whatever you gotta do to get it cleaner if its real dirty and you dont wanna buy a new one just yet just make sure you spray the airhose from the bottom up not from the exposed side down, dont want to force any more dirt crap further into the filter where it could come out the bottom and into the motor, and check the hoses connected to the airbox they pop off easily, depends on where it was stored and covered or not spiders and other bugs can crawl into the air ducts and get in there and make nests or whatever they do, so when the airbox is off can use the airhose to spray out the airducts just use a flashlight to peek down the front of the airducts to see if anything is in there (thats just precautionary but unlikely) im just kinda **** like that when something goes wrong with my bike i dont just check and fix the sorce of the problem i check everything that is related to it just for my own piece of mind lol

so new plugs in, carb cleaner sprayed into the throttle bodies, air filter cleaned and ducts/hoses checked, gas you said was new so good deal there make sure gas is on and fire it up and if it runs and runs good maybe some carb cleaner in the first full tank of gas (your call on that). let us know if it works out

Last edited by stretch_the_apex; 10-09-2010 at 10:27 AM.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:59 AM

no they were wet just by touching the tip the oil/gas? went on my hand.

Old 10-09-2010, 11:27 AM

ok i got ya yea mine were like that too when it wasnt fireing due to bad spark, with no plugs in it and the gas turned off hit the start button for few seconds a couple times to crank the motor and clear the cylinders then put the new plugs in and hook it all back up, i saw in your previous message that the spark was weak like a static spark so no good. new plugs and hopefully it'll fire up

Old 10-09-2010, 12:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SnakeTheLegend
no they were wet just by touching the tip the oil/gas? went on my hand.

replaces the plugs and valve cover gasket with 4 O-ring

Old 10-09-2010, 01:51 PM

All is well . Installed the new spark plugs and it fired right up a lot smoother and faster. Installing my new HID lights tomorrow should look great! Thanks everyone and especially stretch_the_apex!

Last edited by SnakeTheLegend; 10-10-2010 at 01:15 AM.