General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new CBR owner...I need some info/advice/guidence please..

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 02:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new CBR owner...I need some info/advice/guidence please..

Hi guys, This is my first post here.. and I was hoping to get some info/advice on a bike project I’ve taken on

My background is mostly in cars (I’ve got 3 RX-7’s that I work on myself including engine disassembly/re-assembly, I’m a big rotor head)

Background info

I’ve acquired into my possession a 2004 ltd edition Candy blue 600RR, a guy owed me money, and couldn’t pay.. so I got the bike…

The problem is, it’s basically a rolling chassis..

The engine and gearbox is shot… The motor spun a bearing and bent a rod which took out the block too…

then the motor was pulled and left outside.. water got inside the gear box and the cogs got surface rust allover them…

Rest of the bike is in excellent condition minus a couple scratches on some of the farings..

Anyways to the point: I’m lookin for ways to restore the bike to running condition.. First option is to rebuild the current motor:

From what I’ve heard.. honda does not sell the block by itself… they sell u all 3 parts or nothing… my head and crank case are in great shape.. I just need a bottom end..

I’m not looking for huge numbers.. I’m more than happy with it being stock… I was thinking to re-use the pistons, and just look for a used crank and some rods. Is this feasible or practical? Or is it hard to come across motors parted out like this?

If I clean up the surface rust on the cogs of the gearbox can it be re-built? Or should I just get another tranny?

My second alternative is to look for a complete motor/tranny…

But because I live on the other end of the globe… shipping will be expensive on a complete longblock…

I picked up the motor and I can carry it alone.. so it’s not ridiculously heavy.. but still would be pricey…

If I were to look for a complete longblock… which ones are compatible with the 600RR? Does it have to be another 04? Or will anything between 03-07 work for example?

I appreciate any more info you could provide… I really like the look and feel of the bike, and would like to see it on the road again.. but I don’t want to spend 5 grand to get it back on the road either…

I’d love to hear some opinions/advice on what you recommend… Thanks in advance

Old 07-09-2007, 03:05 AM
Default RE: new CBR owner...I need some info/advice/guidence please..

how about a naturally aspirated 4-rotor like the one in this dirt car - http://members.tripod.com/~grannys/4rotor.html ...no, i'm kidding. which end of the globe are you on? i was thinking you could splurge and buy a complete motor/tranny on ebay like this one - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-...spagenameZWD1V and pay what it takes to have it shipped ...and then part out the remaining good parts of the old motor and transmission (or keep lots of spare parts), and part out all the electronics and unneeded parts of the motor you buy. seems like there's a demand for this stuff, so you might even make some money while you're at it. everywhere i see says that at least 03-04 are compatible, but you know not to assume anything. i bet there's some kind of casting number on the block or something that lets you know you've got a similar motor. any second opinions?

Old 07-09-2007, 05:03 AM

lol that 4rotor is insane..

that's a good idea about parting out the current motor (assuming you can find buyers around here)

i'm currently living out near dubai..

anyone have an idea about how much the motor weighs? in my hands it felt around 100lbs but i'm not sure..

Old 07-10-2007, 12:56 AM

Does anyone know which year motors fit?

i've decided to go with a parting out bike's motor

i see motors as new as 06 on ebay

and prices ranging from $650 upto $1,300

do i have to stick to an 04 motor? or anything from 03-07 will work?

Old 07-10-2007, 04:47 AM

ORIGINAL: Ottoman

do i have to stick to an 04 motor? or anything from 03-07 will work?
I'm not too familiar with the 600RR's, but I know that the '03-'04 are identical. '05-'06 is different than the '03-'04 but not sure what all is different.
If I were you, for simplicity, I'd look for '03-'04 parts.

Old 07-12-2007, 01:43 AM

thanks for the input so far guys

i'd really like to know tho if i can drop a newer motor in

the price diff between an 04 and 06 motor is marginal

if I can drop in a newer low mileage motor.. i'd like to go that route