General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need your help identifying this sound my bike is making(not cct)...

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 06:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need your help identifying this sound my bike is making(not cct)...

I'll describe the sound and situation when it occurs so maybe someone can help...

It only happens when accelerating so I have to be in gear. I usually hear it the loudest when I am not pushing too hard in first and second gear. Its a chirping sound that seems to come from under the tank somewhere. at first I thought it was my forks squeeking when going over bumps but that was not it. I have to be accelerating for it to occur. Its a few chirps then I change gears and I hear a few chirps again. If I hear it and then pull the clutch in the sound stops. I don't think its clutch related but I have to be in gear and moving...

Old 09-05-2009, 07:53 PM

Someone else mentioned it could be my chain... any thoughts on that. I also forgot to mention it whines when I hit about 7500 rpm or more in 5th and 6th gear.

Old 09-05-2009, 08:05 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

i had a 900rr that had broken gear teeth on the rear sprocket and it made a funny noise. you could check that out

Old 09-06-2009, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by CBRclassic
Hmmm ...not getting much input here ...have you posted this on the F4i board?

The chain if it is a bit worn on new sprockets or versa visa can made all manner of noises ... Do you know if they were they both fitted together ... are they the same age ? or have you replaced one or the other separately ?
All 3 are differt ages.... front sprocket near new, rear is old and chain is middle of the pack. I know its not a good idea to do that but $$$$ has been tight. I didn't know that it would create such a sound though...

Old 09-06-2009, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by CBRclassic
Yer , we understand the $$$$ issue ...

Just a thought ....have to tried to take her for a small run without a helmet at all...?
You would be amazed how much more you can hear with no helmet on ..
(not that I suggest that you make a habit of not wearing one or nothing like that )

but it may make it easier to determine where the noise is actually coming from ...
Yep... did it today and I am convinced its my chain making the sound. I also noticed my masterlink in a little tight/pinched and doesn't move as freely as the other links...
You seem to know your stuff so I have a question

I ran Seafoam in my last tank of gas and a friend said to pour some in my throttle bodies too.... Is it OK to do that and if so how much??? Thanks for the help

Last edited by jharbinson; 09-06-2009 at 06:26 PM.