General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need a how to on getting to my carbs properly

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 10:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need a how to on getting to my carbs properly

I wrecked my bike due to my crabs not being cleaned and it bogging out on me while popping it up. I want to learn how to work on my bike for myself and I need a how to on getting to my crabs and the removal of the parts in my way of them. tips on what I should do before I attempt it. Any info will help I'm new to bikes so I want to learn by doing.

Thanks, BEAR

Old 06-17-2013, 02:39 AM
Track junkie & modaholic

What type of bike? And do you have a FSM or clymer manual for said bike?

Old 06-17-2013, 07:03 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

tools you'll need:
1)5lb hammer
2)big "F U" knife
3)depending on the model of bike - shotgun

then attack the tank with 5lb hammer. after, that's mangled -cut all hoses with the knife, and stab the airbox to shreds. and if you can't get to the carb boot bolts, what with all the fuel and coolant flowing everywhere (that **** is greasy), make a well aimed shot at the head of the motor with the shotgun to hopefully dislodge carbs

only kidding

basically, you just start taking stuff apart. usually the seat needs to come off first, then the tank, then the airbox.

if you have an f2/f3 (not sue about f4), i know you need to pull the rear side panels off to be able to get to the seat, and then you can easily get to the tank bolts, and then you're at the airbox. take the airbox off, and you're good

CJ is right, what bike? there is always probably already a carb removal thread on the site for your bike.

Last edited by Conrice; 06-17-2013 at 07:07 AM.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:54 PM

OK conrice you had me going at first lol but i have a 2000 Honda CBR600F4 Ive already taken the tank off and am down to the airbox. ive basically got it down so far ive looked up alot of videos but any input would help.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:42 AM

Not sure how far you've got already but if you're new to working on bikes I'd recommend taking lots of photo's as you go. It can really help with putting things back together when you are holding a tube and trying to remember where it connected or what the original wiring/tubing routing was.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:46 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Abergeron
OK conrice you had me going at first lol but i have a 2000 Honda CBR600F4 Ive already taken the tank off and am down to the airbox. ive basically got it down so far ive looked up alot of videos but any input would help.

okay, take the top part of the airbox off (those are the screws around the perimeter of it).

then you need to pull the vacuum hoses and everything going to the bottom of the airbox off. the bottom of the airbox is going to come off with the carbs

then unscrew the top screw of the carb boots that are on the head of the bike. (they're short, black, rubber, cylinders that connect the carbs to the head). then start to work the carbs off. it's a tight fit. you may need to even use a screwdriver to gently pry

make sure to stuff a t-shirt or some paper towels into the intake ports on the head so nothing gets down in there. dust, roaches, dirt, grease - anything gettting in there is a no-no. and the last thing you want to do is drop a screw or something in there.

getting the carbs off is really easy. if it's your first time, just take it slow. take pictures if that'll help you. but you'll see that the vacuum lines will almost line up with where they're supposed to go when you put the thing back together.