General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help bad

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 08:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help bad

Ok so I have a 2001 Honda cbr 929rr, started the bike earlier, ran fine for about 10 seconds and died, fuel pump not priming, all fuses and relays check out, did the kill switch bypass as well as the bas bypass and still no fuel pump prime now heres the odd thing, if unplug the the wires going into the top of the fuel pump and turn the key on I have power, tested via a test light but when I plug it back into the fuel pump I get no power at all, I've hooked the fuel pump to the battery and it works but won't kick on when hooked up like it should be, I'm completely lost and any help would be greatly appreciated

Old 03-03-2019, 01:04 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi the earth connections on these bikes are notoriously bad, see if you can trace the earth wire to the common earth point ( should be a block with earths ) and take a look there, in the mean time with a piece of wire ,attach to the earth on the fuel pump and then other end to a known good earth point, see if it will operate

Old 03-03-2019, 10:56 AM
Default Thank you

Originally Posted by CaBaRet
Hi the earth connections on these bikes are notoriously bad, see if you can trace the earth wire to the common earth point ( should be a block with earths ) and take a look there, in the mean time with a piece of wire ,attach to the earth on the fuel pump and then other end to a known good earth point, see if it will operate
i will definitely try that today and let you know

Old 03-03-2019, 12:41 PM
Default Don't get it

When the fuel pump is plugged in its like something is stopping from coming on, checked all grounds and cleaned them ,even ran a wire from fuel pump ground to good clean ground spot on bike and nothing, I'm completely lost as to what is causing this

Old 03-03-2019, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

Hi try swapping the headlight relay with the Engine Stop relay, and then with the Fuel Cut relay to see if it starts the pump priming

Old 03-03-2019, 12:55 PM
Default No go

Tried that a few times with no change, if starts if I put gas in the throttle body's so I know I'm getting spark but the no fuel pump prime really has me stumped, bike started up fine yesterday and ran for about 10 seconds then died

Old 03-03-2019, 12:58 PM

Hi try swapping the headlight relay with the Engine Stop relay, and then with the Fuel Cut relay to see if it starts the pump priming
the relay clicks on then off like it does when the pump primes but the pump itself is not priming

Old 03-03-2019, 01:04 PM
Default Getting some where

ok I ran a wire from the brown wire that goes into the fuel cut off relay to the brown wire on the bottom of the fuel pump and it get on then off like it should and comes when the start button is pressed like it should, so do I have a bad wire some where?

Old 03-03-2019, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

probably connector

Last edited by CaBaRet; 03-03-2019 at 01:18 PM.
Old 03-03-2019, 01:25 PM
Default Thank you

probably connector
the end of the connector that comes from the bottom of the fuel about 3 inches up on all three wires they were hard as rock and can't bend

Quick Reply: Need help bad