General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need guidance

Old 05-26-2009, 09:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need guidance

I have an 07 cbr1000rr. CYL number 4 is messed up. I have another thread down a couple threads if you want to see what actually happened but basically I just need prices on a couple parts and where I can buy them or if there is a thread on this forum where people are selling their stuff. But basically I think I need all of these parts. Someone said I could get my baby running again for about 350 rather than buying a whole new engine... Any help? My story is at the bottom if you care to see what actually happened.

Parts needed
Head
four valves
valve springs
piston
rod

Story
I just bought a black 07 cbr1000rr with 2600 miles on it. Nice bike. Bought it off of a friend for 3500 bucks because it wasn't running. So me and my bike tech and friend Luke look at it. The secondary fuel injectors that kick in at higher rpms, the wires have been switched, so thats not a big deal. Cyl #4 is damaged. Apparently the owner of the bike had tightened the spark plug too tight and all the pieces went down into the cylinder and bent the valves when he went to start it. Then the bike kept dying on him because the battery was shot and he revved it up to try to keep the bike alive and KERPLUNK. Not a good sound you want to hear on a bike, or any automobile. What we think happened is that the belt skipped time and messed up the timing of everything. When the cylinder went up the valves came down and crunch. Now I'm not sure of everything I need to repair the bike. I'm debating whether or not to just drop another motor in it if it's cheaper. I believe I will need a need head, new valves, valve springs, piston... im not sure if the cyl wall is hurt or not and I think I need a new rod for the piston. Now does anyone will experience know the prices of all these parts or if they know instantly that a new motor will be cheaper to just drop in. Keep in mind that it only has 2600 miles on it so if I do go the route of getting another motor it will probably have alot more miles on it so I need someone's guidance on this subject. Thank you

Old 05-27-2009, 05:35 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is the forum help center. So if you can't figure out how to view a picture or post a poll you air it out in here. Bike questions go to 'general tech' or a bike specific forum

Old 05-28-2009, 07:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We also have a wonderful section called "classifieds" where we buy and sell parts. If you cant find what you need there, check eBay

Old 05-28-2009, 08:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's unfortunate man! Well, here's my opinion. With what you've said, your best bet may be to find a used motor and put that in. If the cam chain did jump, valves went smashy so you might as well be ready to throw in a head complete with valves, cams, etc. along with a new cam chain, tensioner parts and maybe crank sprocket. Given the fact that your buddy already dropped a bunch of shrapnel down one cylinder and it had a valve collision, it's almost safe to say that further damge has been done to one or more pision/connecting rod and/or crankshaft. You're going to have to just yank it out and see what all happened plain and simple. If it was just the head and likeness I would definately say you'll be alright with finding some ebay parts but I'm almost certain the damage is more extensive than that. Should be able to pick up a GOOD used motor for $1200. You only paid $3500 for it, you'll have a nice bike for cheap after it's all said and done.