General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket lights keep melting the solder!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 08:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket lights keep melting the solder!?

I bought a 96 F3, it has aftermarket lights (h4's) because it's missing the front fairings. Now, it keeps melting the solder point inside the switch housing right under the engine cutoff switch. It only does this when I run my high-beams for about 20-30 mins. Does anyone know of a way to fix this?? It sucks cuz I can't use my high-beams for fear of losing my lights all together!!

Old 05-28-2009, 08:47 AM

Well it's melting the solder because those bulbs are most likely drawing a lot more current than what the system is designed for. You may not blow fuses but fuses are rated at 125 to 150 percent of the circuits demand. You might be able to just solder them a bit better, but you might just start melting wires off then. I would throw lower wattage bulbs in it.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:57 PM

Your drawing twice the power over what those wires were designed to handle. the entire wire is getting hot and eventually will probably melt and catch fire. If you insist on running those lights, I would at least re-wire with a heavier gauge wire that can handle the power. Its also possible that the switch itself can not handle the power, but more than likely, its just the wiring.

My suggestion would be to use a relay, that way you can get full battery power to the headlights without worring about melting anything.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:35 PM

Yeah thats what I thought. I have seen people hooking up a relay to that wire to trigger the connection straight from the battery to the lights. I'll probably end up doing that. I just didn't know if someone had a better suggestion.